Quick Hits

Voting opens today

Today is the first day to vote in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona general elections. The elections begin at 8 a.m. and end tomorrow night at 8.

Candidates for student body president are Erin Hertzog and Matt Van Horn.

Administrative Vice President candidates are Ty Reece and Jami Reinsch.

Executive Vice Presidential candidate David Reece will run unopposed because Rhonda Tubbs was disqualified last night after elections-code violations.

Out of the 17 senatorial candidates, students can mark 10 choices on their ballots.

Also on the ballot is an item to determine whether senate stipends will continue coming out of the senate budget or from the ASUA general budget.

Online ballots can be accessed from any computer at http://asua.arizona.edu. There will be a polling table outside of Canyon CafǸ in the Student Union Memorial Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and tomorrow.

PETA students get the ‘meat out’ today on Mall

The UA chapter of Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals will be hosting its third annual “”Meat Out”” on the UA Mall today from 12:15 until the food runs out.

The club will be giving away free vegan food to raise awareness about the many alternatives to eating meat.

Food for the event is donated from local restaurants and supermarkets as well as vegan processed food manufacturers including Amy’s Organic and Soy Delicious. Dishes include vegan chili, ice cream, pizza, burritos and chicken-less nuggets.

Africana Studies to show film on colonization of Africa

The Africana studies program is showing a movie tonight as part of the Africana studies Film Series.

“”Africa: The Story of a Continent”” will be played today at 5 p.m. in the CǸsar E. Chǭvez building, Room 111.

The discussion moderator is Bayo Ijagbemi, an African-American studies adjunct instructor.

The series is open to students enrolled at the UA. For individuals not enrolled who would like to observe, please contact the director prior to the event.

For more information, call 621-5664.