ASUA Notebook

In its weekly meeting on Wednesday, ASUA approved $5,000 to pay for a festival to encourage student voting in the upcoming presidential election.

The Red, White and Blue Block Party will take place on Oct. 3 directly following the presidential debate, which will be broadcast on screens. A concert will also be included in the festival. While ASUA has narrowed the performing artist down to two choices, the association has not disclosed either.

Contests will also be held between dorms, clubs and greek organizations, with prizes such as a $500 donation to philanthropy in the winner’s name or a catered dinner.

According to Tess Korbesmeyer, the UA’s campus organizer for the Arizona Students’ Association, voting efforts so far have resulted in the registration of more than 1,000 students.

ASUA also discussed how to be more accessible to students. In three weeks, flyers with information on ASUA Senate members and contact information will be posted around campus.

Several senators met with the library committee to discuss improvements. Students can now reserve a room in the library with the university’s smartphone app. Also, to ensure that students are the only ones using library computers, a login with a UA NetID is required.

Sen. Logan Bilby is working with career services to add options for poetry students at career fairs. Bilby said that many students studying the arts don’t use resources provided by Career Services simply because those students don’t feel the department can help them with finding jobs after graduation.