POBEAT: 11/10/16

POBEAT%3A+11%2F10%2F16
Simon Asher

Remember your card

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spotted five white males standing at the Metro Wildcat parking lot on Oct. 31 as he conducted a patrol of areas near there. The officer recalled UAPD had received a number of complaints from residents about the place to which the group had walked—a dark area surrounded by bushes and trees where people usually go to smoke marijuana.

The officer then lost sight of the group and walked back to his vehicle. As soon as he entered he noticed only three males from the same group trotting across Sixth Street and Tyndall Avenue. Right as he exited his vehicle, the wind blew marijuana odor straight to his face.

As he called for them to stop, one male from the group turned towards the officer and had Ziploc bag containing what looked like marijuana sticking out of his shirt. Upon request, two men from the group gave the officer their driver’s license and the other male said he did not have any form of identification because he left it home, but provided the officer his wallet and a verbally gave his name.

The male who had the marijuana in his shirt explained that he had a medical marijuana card but did not carry it with him because he believed he didn’t need to have it with him, to which the officer responded even if he did have a medical marijuana card, he could not possess or use the marijuana on UA property.

After the officer checked their identification, the male who carried the marijuana had his identification return invalid. The male explained he did not give the correct information because he wanted to get the situation over with quickly. He then gave his real name, which returned valid and the police saw his name was listed as a previous contact in a narcotic call.

The officer called over another UAPD officer so he could remain with the other two males that had valid identification. The two did not show any signs of marijuana use so the officer collected their information and let them go. The officer warned the remaining man for false reporting to law enforcement and diverted him on a charge of possession of marijuana. The officer told the RA the outcome of the incident, took custody of the marijuana, processed it at UAPD and completed a dean of students referral form.

Don’t eat the fruit

A UAPD officer was dispatched to Posada San Pedro Residence Hall to assist Tucson Fire Department with an extremely intoxicated 19-year-old female on Oct. 30. As she slurred and mumbled all her words, she was being assessed by TFD and UA Emergency Medical Services.

She sat on her bed while she vomited into a trash can sitting on her lap. Upon TFD assessment, they determined she should be sent to University Medical Center for extreme intoxication. The officer followed up with the girl after she was feeling better and was back in her dorm.

The officer asked what had happened that night and the girl responded by explaining she didn’t think she drank that much. She told the officer she had jungle juice and ate the fruit in the drink.

The officer then told her that because she was underage he had to cite her as a minor in possession of alcohol and she signed a complaint promising she would appear in court. A code of conduct was forwarded to the dean.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter.