Arizona soccer runs past Southeast Missouri

Alexandra Pere
Sabrina Enciso, 16, evades the Houston Baptist forward during the Houston Baptist vs Arizona soccer game at the Mulcahy Stadium on Sunday. Enciso scored the third goal of the first half with a volley from the middle of the 18th.

Five goals were more than enough for the University of Arizona women’s soccer team to kick off the Sun Devil Desert Classic Friday afternoon against the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks. This win adds another victory to their record, improving it to 3-1.

Being on the road with extreme heat conditions did not seem to hinder the Wildcats’ performance. The ‘Cats outshot the Redhawks 24-1, with most of the game on the Redhawks half of the field. Arizona was able to maintain control of the game, win 50/50 balls and passes throughout the field to create dangerous chances.  

Five different women on this team found the back of the net: Jada Talley (11’), Emily Knous (18’), Sam Falasco (54’), Morgan McGarry (61’), Brooke Wilson (82’). This is the third game that the Cats’ were able to outscore their opponents in with five goals or more.

RELATED: Win No. 56 makes Tony Amato winningest coach in Arizona soccer history

Sophomore Talley scored the first goal of the game, like she did against Houston Baptist University, but this time it came a little earlier.

Talley was able to position herself correctly and redirect a short square pass across the six yard line from Knous. Talley placed the ball in the bottom-left corner with ease.

Knous, a true freshman who already had an assist credited to her name, then went on to score a goal for herself. Similar to Talley’s goal, sophomore Amanda Porter played a ball across the goalkeeper’s box and Knous knocked it in on the right corner.

Falasco, a junior, scored her first goal of the season off Porter’s cross. She hit the initial crossed ball that got saved by the keeper, but it then got given back to her for a redemption shot. Falasco finished that second chance.

Outside defender McGarry also scored her first goal of the season by taking a laser shot outside of the 18-yard box as a result of a counter attack. The keeper got a touch on it, but the shot was too strong and went in on her right side.

RELATED: Arizona Soccer heading to Tempe for pair of games

Wilson tallied another goal for her freshman career. A deceptive ball played by fellow teammate junior Brynn Moga slipped past the Redhawks’ defense and into Wilson’s feet. She had a clear view of the goal and also slid to get the ball past the keeper and into the net.  

With this result, senior Lainey Burdett is just one shutout away from having the Arizona all-time record. During the game, Burdett only had one shot on goal but was not credited with any saves.

Arizona still has one more game this weekend on Sunday at 11 A.a.m.. when it takes on New Hampshire.

Follow Maury Urcadez on Twitter