​Porter secures Arizona win with goal in overtime

Addison Shinn

The Wildcats celebrate after scoring a winning goal to beat Brigham Young University on Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium on Sept. 15.

Amanda Porter scored the winning goal in overtime giving the Wildcats a 2-1 victory over the BYU Cougars and their second straight win at Mulcahy Field on Friday night.

Both Arizona and BYU came into Fridays match fresh off wins, the Wildcats had beat Texas Tech 2-1 and BYU had defeated Oregon State 3-0, setting up what would be an exciting match for the 768 fans in attendance.

Arizona forward Charlotte Brascia would put the Wildcats on the board first after connecting on a Cali Crisler corner kick. Crisler, for the second game in a row has centered the ball perfectly from the corner resulting in goals for teammates Samantha Falasco last weekend and Brascia tonight.

“I really focus on hitting it to the right spot,” Crisler said. “If I get the ball there some of the times players are going to get those in the back of the net. When we have set pieces I shield the goalkeeper, that’s kind of my job is to shield her and try to score,” Brascia said.

The Cougars would respond in the 72’ when freshman Madie Mathews received an assist from teammate Nadia Gomez on a through ball leaving Arizona goalkeeper Lainey Burdett to misplay the angle resulting in a equalizer for BYU.

“There was a bouncing ball that two girls hesitated on and their girl got it, and then pinged the ball through behind us and no one picked up the runner,” Arizona head coach Tony Amato said.

It took a minute and 50 seconds of extra time for Arizona to get the winning goal as Porter made contact on a loose ball in the box, allowing her to get a shot off and slipping one past the Cougars goalkeeper Hannah Clark.

“Cali crossed it, Char [Charlotte Brascia] was able to hold it up and try to get that shot off and it just deflected right to where I was and I finished it near post,” Porter said.

Amato was forced to shuffle his starting line up after his leading scorer, Gabi Stoian, did not dress and partake in Friday’s game due to a hamstring injury that she suffered in last weeks match against Texas Tech.

“I pretty much knew yesterday. I thought if it was really a lot better today we would consider it,” Amato said. “With the Pac-12 around the corner we thought we’d be really conservative with it.”

Freshman Jada Tally, would end up getting the task of replacing Stoian in the starting line up. Tally, would log in 39’ for Amato as a starter.

“I think it was good. [Tally’s] a good player and it’s like anything you got to keep tweaking the young players, but she’ll get there,” Amato said.

The Wildcats (3-2-2) are on a two-win game and are in for a battle as they enter the Pac-12 conference play against Oregon (5-2) on Saturday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. MST at Mulcahy Stadium.

Follow Alex Munoz on Twitter