Athlete of the week: Devon Wharf

Arizona soccer goalkeeper Devon Wharf was named Pacific 10 Conference player of the week after making seven saves in a 2-1 double-overtime victory against rival Arizona State. The Arizona Daily Wildcat’s Vincent Balistreri caught up with her to discuss the team’s second-straight win over ASU, Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash and rapper Drake.

DW: So you had seven saves in the team’s first win against ASU and you were named Pac-10 player of the week for the first time. How does it feel considering all the injuries you’ve been through in your career? Is it satisfying to finally get some recognition?

Wharf: It feels great, going from beating ASU and being named Pac-10 player of the week, it’s kind of surreal — it doesn’t feel like it hit me yet. I would love to say this: it is good to end my senior season like this on a high note, but the bad part is we have to focus on the last four games.

DW: I know you guys celebrated after Friday’s huge win, so what did you do to celebrate?

Wharf: We definitely celebrated (laughs) … Since we’re in dry season we really didn’t too much. Sam Drees and myself went, and her mom cooked us some food and we watched Twilight.

DW: Where would you rank Friday night’s game to all your Arizona soccer moments?

Wharf: I would have to say it’s second. Only because of the Sweet 16, but I would have to say it was a close second.

DW: Since coach (Lisa) Oyen and (John) Galas have taken over it seems that it’s a different team out there. What have they done differently?

Wharf: Tactically, nothing has changed, but I think the environment has a lot to do with it. I think girls are just willing to work harder now. It bonded us together because we had a rough start and with coach leaving and everything, it was kind of like, ‘Damn, we been through so much that were not going to let one more thing hold us back.’

DW:  OK, I’ve been thinking, with you being from Canada, is there any difference from Canadians and Americans? If I didn’t know any better I would have thought you were born in the U.S.

Wharf: I would say climate is the biggest difference. Our teammates always make fun of how we say “”tomorrow”” or how we all say “”eh?””.  Or they’ll say, ‘Does Maple Syrup run through your veins?’

DW: You being from Canada, I have to ask this question even though it’s not soccer-related, but who do you like better, Steve Nash or Wayne Gretzky?

Wharf: You’re throwing a guy from my hometown in the same sentence as a guy in my favorite sport. This is like impossible to answer.  I have to say Steve Nash because he’s from Vancouver.

DW: I’m going to say a few names, and I want you to say the first thing that comes to mind?

Wharf: (laughs) Oh gosh.

DW:  David Beckham.

Wharf: Uh, good at soccer.

DW:  This is actually two, coach Oyen and Galas.

Wharf: Phenomenal.

DW: Drake.

Wharf: Hot.

DW: I had to throw that in there, considering he’s a Canadian and he is one the best rappers out right now. How do you feel about having a rapper from Canada?

Wharf: (laughs) Honestly, it’s so random. First he’s on Degrassi and next thing you know he’s rapping. Everybody’s like, ‘You know Drake, you know the guy off of Degrassi?’

DW: So are Canadians proud to have a rapper from their country?

Wharf: Yeah, because now we’re not claiming Nelly Furtado. Because we got Drake. (laughs)