Fast Facts

• A rat can tread water for up to three days and can survive being flushed down the toilet; it returns to the building via the same route.
  • The average woman consumes six pounds of lipstick in her lifetime.
  • Armadillos, opossums and sloths spend up to 80 percent of their lives sleeping.
  • A 5-year-old boy phoned Leicester, United Kingdom, police to complain that his sister was cheating at Scrabble.
  • Rock musicians Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison were all 27 years old when they died.
  • The black bulldog ant from Australia is the most dangerous ant in the world. It stings and bites at the same time and has killed humans.
  • In 1985, Lt. Cdr. Waghorn and Lance Corporal Gill played Scrabble continuously for five days when trapped in a crevasse in Antarctica.
  • Jennifer Strange, a 28-year-old woman from Sacramento, died of water intoxication while trying to win a Nintendo Wii console in a radio station’s “”Hold Your Wee for a Wii”” contest, which involved drinking large quantities of water without urinating. She placed second.
  • Katydids have ears in their front legs.
  • It was the custom in Ancient Rome for the men to place their right hand on their testicles when taking an oath. The modern term “”testimony”” comes from this tradition.
  • Mont Blanc, Europe’s highest mountain, is visited by approximately 30,000 climbers each year – so many that French authorities plan to install public toilets at the peak.
  • The Aerosmith hit “”Dude Looks Like a Lady”” was written about Vince Neil of Motley Crue.
  • The coyote’s scientific name, canis latrans, means “”barking dog.””