Staff Picks

Tim Kosch

Sports writer

No. 3 Arizona softball at No.16 California

I seem to recall the Wildcats getting swept the last time they had a big weekend series against an elite team on the road. That’s just life in Pac-10 softball, I guess. This is a chance for the ‘Cats to get back on track against a good team. Arizona will drop the first one 4-3 in the bottom of the seventh, but then will come back and run-rule the rest of the weekend.

Arizona wins series 2-1

No. 19 Arizona baseball at USC

Arizona baseball’s season has been a great story. Head coach Andy Lopez gutted the whole team from last year and brought in new guys — and it’s worked. National ranking? Last year that would’ve made a UA baseball diehard laugh. But despite being ranked this year, the Wildcats have been pretty average in the Pac-10. I expect Lopez to stick it to the Trojans this weekend.

Arizona sweeps

Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers

Ideal scenario for me: LeBron drops 60, but the Cavs lose. LeBron then gets a text from Chris Bosh that reads: “”I have to get some new kicks.”” LeBron, in a haze after such a deflating loss, misreads the text as “”I have to play for the New York Knicks.”” Upset with his team for being a bunch of hacks, LeBron makes up his mind to play in the Big Apple next year. Bosh then follows LeBron to the Garden.

Boston 96, Cleveland 90

Kevin Zimmerman

Assistant sports editor

No. 3 Arizona softball at No. 16 California

California is more frisky than fantastically talented, but the Golden Bears have the energy and will to cause the Wildcats concern. However, Arizona is rolling and playing with a purpose right now. A gypsy with a crystal ball couldn’t guess who head coach Mike Candrea will throw in the circle, but I suspect he throws ace Kenzie Fowler only two of the three weekend games.

Arizona wins series 2-1

No. 19 Arizona baseball at USC

Arizona won only one game in the UCLA weekend series, and head coach Andy Lopez doesn’t want to use youth as an excuse. Word has it that after Game 3 against the Bruins last weekend, Lopez laid the lecture on his team for a good hour and a half before allowing them to leave the ballpark. In my opinion, he had a good coaching approach — if you talk to them long enough, they will mature before your eyes.

Arizona sweeps

Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers

There are two terrible choices here: the Celtics team that paid off the Suns for potential Steve Nash replacement Rajon Rondo against the team with two centers (the Big Bench Warmer and Big Zydrunas) that move like giant Lord of the Ring Ents. Sorry, enough with the complaints. I’m calling the upset with the Celtics playing sharp and the Cavs still making LeBron carry the whole weight of Cleveland on his shoulders.

Boston 87, Cleveland 86

Nicole Dimtsios

Sports editor

Arizona hasn’t played at California since 2008, since rain canceled the ’09 matchup. If Arizona hopes to keep its six-game winning streak alive, they’ll have to make this year’s trip to Berkeley more productive. The road hasn’t been kind to the Wildcats this season, but Kenzie Fowler has had some time to adjust to the Pac-10 away from Hillenbrand after winning two of three at ASU and getting swept at Washington. After all, the third time’s the charm.

Arizona sweeps

No. 19 Arizona baseball at USC

Simply put, Arizona’s Kurt Heyer has been unstoppable on the mound for the Wildcats. The freshman reportedly goes to practice early, plays pepper with himself and even sleeps with the game ball before pitching. Arizona thrives on momentum, so if Heyer gets off on the right foot, the Wildcats should be set to get a sweep in SoCal. If the Trojans hope to get a good start on Friday night, maybe they should hide the game ball from Heyer.

Arizona sweeps

Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers

The matchup between the Boston Celtics and the Cleveland Cavaliers features a matchup of great talent. But the competition between the teams has bled off the court. The stars of both teams have even made SportsCenter commercial appearances and the bigger story will be which team has the better nicknames. Personally, I pick King James.

Cavaliers 89, Boston 78