The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

63° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat

 

    Chemistry building evacuated for outlet spark

    Sparks flew in the Carl S. Marvel Laboratories of Chemistry building Friday morning when one person decided to unplug an outlet.

     

    “”Someone inside the building went to unplug an outlet, and when they unplugged it, another outlet in the room sparked,”” said University of Arizona Police Department Public Information Officer Sgt. Juan Alvarez. “”There was a smoke issue that resulted.””

     

    When officers responded, they smelled the odor of gas. There was no gas leak, but someone in an adjacent room was using gas, so the officers may have smelled that gas, Alvarez said.

     

    The call was received at 10:46 a.m. and there was an all-clear to re-enter the building before noon.

     

    “”It was an electrical issue, the building was evacuated for 15 minutes as a precaution,”” Alvarez said.

     

    Tucson Fire Department went into the building to check for a fire, which they did not find.

     

    There were no injuries, Alvarez said.

     

    “”The building was shut down for 15 minutes, so any classes in session would have had to stop for that period of time,”” Alverez said.

     

    Alverez was not aware of any physical damages to the building as a result of the spark. 

    More to Discover
    Activate Search