Softball beats alumni team

A large group of former Arizona softball players returned to Tucson Saturday to play in the annual Alumni Game.

The current team roughed up last year’s senior pitcher Leslie Wolfe in the third inning for four runs, en route to a 5-1 victory.

Among the game’s highlights was a home run by Callista Balko off her former battery mate Alicia Hollowell.

“”It felt good, considering I struck out the time before,”” Balko said. “”I was looking for that pitch, just waiting for it, so it felt pretty good.””

Taryne Mowatt started the game for the current team, and the only offense off her was a solo home run by the home run derby champion Lindsey Collins, who played from 1998 to 2001.

“”We took it seriously,”” Balko said. “”Before this game, (UA head) coach Mike Candrea told us to really take it seriously and get something out of it, so we did what we could, and we worked on our weaknesses and took it seriously and got a ‘W.'””

Freshman pitcher Amanda Williams relieved Mowatt and pitched three innings of one-hit ball.

Another freshman, K’Lee Arredondo, hit a two-run double to start the scoring for the current team.

“”It was exciting, just knowing the past that they brought here,”” Arredondo said. “”They built this place, so it was exciting playing against them.””

Said Balko: “”It was a lot of fun playing against these girls. I’m so used to them coming out to practice, and now I’m actually facing them in a game, so it was kind of fun. It was a good time.””

Candrea emphasized the importance of the game to his players.

“”The big thing is it builds credibility through the process that we go through,”” Candrea said. “”When you can walk out here and see the things that have occurred in this program and see the kids and their accolades, then it gives credibility to the kids about the process we preach on a day-to-day basis.””