Quick Hits

Interesting tidbits and need-to-know information before watching the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29.

Expect the scoreboard to light up

Both Arizona and Oklahoma State tout a top-10 nationally ranked passing offenses, with the Cowboys landing in second place and Arizona in ninth. Combined, the teams average 982 yards of offense and 70 points per game. The total yards of offense is the second most among any bowl behind the Oregon and Auburn matchup in the BCS National Championship game.

First looks

The meeting between Arizona and Oklahoma State is the first since 1942. It is the first of three total meetings between the teams in the next two years. Arizona and Oklahoma State are tied in the all time series 3-3. The Cowboys will play host to the first regular season matchup in Stillwater, Okla., in 2011, and the Wildcats will host in Tucson, Ariz., in 2012.

Bowling records

This is the third Alamo Bowl appearance for the Cowboys, making appearances in 2004 and 1997. Oklahoma State is 0-2 in Alamo Bowl games.

Arizona is making its first Alamo Bowl appearances and the first for the Pacific 10 Conference since 1994.

The Wildcats are 1-1 in postseason bowls in the last two years, defeating BYU in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl and losing to Nebraska in the 2009 Holiday Bowl. Previous to its appearance at the Las Vegas Bowl, Arizona had been in a bowl drought for 10 years.

Oklahoma State is 0-2 in its last two bowl appearances. The Cowboys lost to Mississippi in the 2009 AT&T Cotton Bowl and lost to Oregon in the 2008 Pacific Life Holiday Bowl.

Searching for a win

The Wildcats haven’t won a game in nearly two months. Arizona’s last win came on Oct. 30 when it defeated UCLA 29-21 at the Rose Bowl. Arizona began the season 7-1 before losing four straight conference games to close out the season.

Oklahoma State had won four straight games before losing to Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game on Nov. 27. The Cowboys have not seen action in over a month since losing just after Thanksgiving.

Texas bred

There are a total of 80 players that hail from the host state of Texas between the Oklahoma State and Arizona rosters, including Arizona quarterback Nick Foles, from Austin, Texas. Notably, however, none of the players are actually from San Antonio, Texas, where the Alamo Bowl is held.