Arrest made in murder of former prof.

Arrest made in murder of former prof.

A Nogales man was arrested early Saturday morning in connection with the death of retired UA professor Mac E. Hadley, 76, Tucson Police Department officials said.

Marco A. Chavez, 31, was booked into the Santa Cruz County Jail on one count of first-degree murder, said Officer Dallas Wilson, TPD public information officer.

Hadley died from a gunshot wound to the head, according to police reports.

Wilson said police found items belonging to Hadley, including his car, by executing a series of search warrants in collaboration with the Nogales Police Department, although he could not provide details or descriptions of other found items.

“”All we are saying right now is that Chavez was arrested in connection to the case,”” Wilson said. “”We can’t give out any other facts that could jeopardize the case.””

Police have confirmed that Hadley’s death was connected to a burglary, Wilson said.

Police found Hadley’s body late Wednesday after his house had been set on fire.

Wilson said police believe Chavez is linked to both the burglary and the arson of Hadley’s home, although he could not confirm whether or not Chavez will be tried with these additional charges.

Chavez has been previously convicted of theft and second-degree burglary, according to court records.

Vickie Spevak, business manager for the ophthalmology and vision science department, said a scholarship fund has been set up in memory of Hadley.

“”This is something he would have wanted,”” Spevak said.

In lieu of gifts, the Hadley family has requested that all donations be made to the fund, which was established through the UA Foundation.

Proceeds from the fund will benefit the UA College of Medicine, according to a press release.