Athlete of the Week: Ify Ibekwe

Ify+Ibekwe
Ify Ibekwe

Ify Ibekwe, a senior forward on the Arizona women’s basketball team, led the Wildcats to their first victory over ASU in their last 12 tries with a 22-point, 22-rebound performance. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with her to talk about being named Pacific 10 Conference Player of the Week, her favorite movie and what really happens on road trips.

Daily Wildcat: What does it mean to you being named Pac-10 Player of the Week?

Ify Ibekwe: I didn’t even know about it until I went into the office and someone told me. It’s pretty cool to get noticed because I did so much for the team. It’s always an accomplishment to get acknowledged for what you do for your team.

What do you and the rest of the team need to do to put together a winning streak?

We just need to play like we did against ASU. We were energetic and active. We executed on offense … we played with hustle. When we put that all together, it adds up to a win.

Who’s your favorite musical artist right now?

I listen to all types of music, so I don’t really have one type of music or artist that I listen to more than others.

What about your favorite song?

Definitely Rihanna’s “”What’s My Name?”” I listen to that all the time. It just makes me happy.

Do you have any kind of pre-game rituals or superstitions?

I always call my family in the same order — my mom, dad and then brother. I listen to music, like we all do, but that’s about it.

What’s your favorite on-court memory at Arizona?

Beating ASU in McKale on Sunday. I’ll never forget that — the way I felt. It was a team win, we played for each other, and nothing feels better than that.

When coach Butts gave you that hug on the court at the end of the ASU game, what did she say?

She basically said, “”We did it, you worked hard and good game.””

What’s your favorite movie right now?

Definitely “”Easy A.”” It’s the funniest movie I’ve seen in the last two months.

Is there anything on your iPod that would surprise someone?

For someone that knows me, nothing would be surprising. There’s no artist or song that someone would say “”What? Ify? No way.””

What’s your favorite off-court memory while at Arizona?

There are so many great moments that I can’t pick one. … We always have fun. We’re always a team and a family atmosphere, so there’s always something funny happening.

Have you guys ever gotten in trouble on a road trip?

(Laughs) No, we don’t get in trouble.

Is there a memory from while you were on the road that stands out to you?

I don’t remember what year it was — it was either my junior year or this year — but we won a game, and we all just went to the hotel pool area and it was just fun. We just all were enjoying it and it was the whole team, so that was great.