Arizona softball team stays alive in Women’s College World Series with 3-1 victory over Oregon State

Megan Ewing
Carlie Scupin yells to a teammate during the game against New Mexico State. Arizona Softball defeated NMSU on Friday, April 9 in Tucson, Ariz.

The Arizona softball team and Oregon State met in a Pac-12 series back in April where the Beavers took two of the three games from the Wildcats. This game meant a lot more as both teams looked to avoid elimination in the Women’s College World Series Friday night. 

Devyn Netz took the mound for Arizona. The Beavers struck first against her in the top of the second inning as a pair of singles led to a sacrifice fly. Arizona struck right back in the bottom half of the inning on a two out RBI double hit by Sophia Carroll. 

It was a pitcher’s duel after that between Netz and Oregon State starter Mariah Mazon as both teams were held scoreless the next three innings. 

Netz pitched five innings, allowing 1 run on three hits with four strikeouts and one walk. Hanah Bowen took the mound in the sixth inning, tossing a quick 1-2-3 frame. 

RELATED: Arizona softball team falls to Oklahoma State 4-2 to open Women’s College World Series

After Izzy Pacho led off the bottom of the sixth inning with a walk, she went on to score on a double hit by Carlie Scupin, her third hit of the night. Blaise Biringer later provided the Wildcats another insurance run to take a 3-1 lead into the seventh inning. 

Bowen looked to close out the Beavers, but they did not make it easy. After a quick out, Oregon State left fielder Madison Simon worked a 13 pitch at-bat that resulted in a walk. Bowen got the second out before walking another batter to put the tying runs on base. With a lot of tension on everyone on the field, Kiki Escobar hit a line drive to left field that was caught by Jasmine Perezchica on a dive to end the game. 

Arizona will play the loser of Texas-Oklahoma next on Sunday at 4 p.m. MST on ESPN2. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter