Around town

Wednesday, Dec. 2

“”Times and Winds.”” This 2006 film from Turkey is part of the “”Youth in Cinema”” film series, and we don’t mean Pixar movies. Although it’s worth noting that Pixar movies rarely have much to do with children. 7 p.m.-9:30 p.m. Integrated Learning Center, Room 130. Free.

Thursday, Dec. 3

Audacia. This local “”adult-alternative”” pop act has been likened to Jack Johnson and John Mayer. Only ­— you know — better, since they’re local and all. With San Lunes, FM Stereochild and Frantic. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $5.

Friday, Dec. 4

Book Signing. Jefferson Carter, a local poet and recently retired Pima Community College writing instructor, will sign copies of his new poetry collection, “”My Kind of Animal.”” You know he’s got to be worth hearing, since he’s named after not one, but two presidents. Not only that, but he’s reading at Club Congress. It’s hard to imagine any poet reading there, unless he’s wearing a beret and accompanied by a cigarette-smoking piano player. 6 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. Free.

Poetry Reading. Eleni Sikelianos, a former oceanography student who turned to writing “”avant-garde pastoral”” poetry, will read. She’ll be accompanied by a tape of humpback whales’ singing. OK, not really. 8 p.m. UA Poetry Center. Free.

Saturday, Dec. 5

Poetry Joey. Two teaching artists help children develop their creative writing skills and expand their imaginations. They’re fighting an uphill battle, of course; last we checked, video games still existed. 10 a.m. Children’s Corner, UA Poetry Center. Free.

Triple Double. No, it’s got nothing to do with baseball. It’s a critically acclaimed blend of reggae and blues with a groovy, funky vibe, and it’s said to sound a bit like Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Grateful Dead and Bob Marley. And who wouldn’t rather hear all of those bands at the same time than go to a baseball game? Right? With Ethos and Vine St. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $5. 

Sunday, Dec. 6

“”Holiday Card to Tucson.”” Five choirs and more than 250 singers will join in the UA School of Music’s annual holiday concert. Of course, they won’t literally send a card to Tucson. That would be as silly as, say, celebrating Tucson’s birthday as if it were a real person. No one would ever do that. 3 p.m.-7:30 p.m. St. Augustine Cathedral, 192 S. Stone Ave. Free.

Monday, Dec. 7

The Starlings. Do you love the sound of the mandolin? Does your heart yearn for the tender trill of a harmonica, summoning up a forgotten time, when people actually cared about each other and knew who their neighbors were? Well, judging from the reviews, you’ll love The Starlings. But don’t expect them to save the world or anything. As that John Cusack movie can tell you, we’re all doomed no matter what. No cover. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. 9:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Dec. 8

Ubiquitous Spotlight. Students in the English 309 class will read the poetry they’ve been working on this semester. Following that, students from the mathematics department will read their poetry, which consists entirely of equations translated into iambic pentameter. OK, I made that up. They’re really written in hazaj meter. 7 p.m-8 p.m. UA Poetry Center. Free.

Metalhead. If you’ve never seen local metal tribute band Metalhead before, you’re in for a treat. They’ve finally brought their clamorous sound to downtown’s Club Congress. Don’t worry, this isn’t the kind of metal that consists of 20-minute screaming sessions, or 20-hour epics about dragons. It’s more the kind of glitzy pop metal your mom might have listened to in the ’80s, even if she was a fairly normal person. 9 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $5.