Arizona WBB’s defense stays strong, defeats Washington 51-42

Nathanial Stenchever

Sam Thomas, a forward on the Arizona women’s basketball team, shoots free throws on Friday, Nov. 19, in McKale Center. The Wildcats lead at half 32-22.

The University of Arizona women’s basketball got a win on the road against the University of Washington 51-42.

The Wildcats were led by Shaina Pellington with 10 points. She shot 33% from the field and 67% from the free-throw line. She was the only Arizona player in double digits. 

This was a defensive game in the first half with Arizona only scoring 16 points and holding the Huskies to 7 points and only 2 points in the second quarter.

Related: Arizona WBB’s Sam Thomas named to CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team

During the game, Arizona held Washington to 36% from the field and 42% from the three. Arizona’s defense forced 22 turnovers which led to 16 points off of turnovers. 

Arizona did not shoot the ball much better, shooting 37% from the field and only 15% from the three.

On the glass, it was a tight battle with Washington grabbing one more rebound, (32-31). Arizona did win the offensive glass 10-8 which led to eight second-chance points. 

A concern for Arizona this game was their turnover to assist ratio which was 12-10. That will hurt them down the road if they can not flip that ratio. 

The next game for the Wildcats is on the road against Washington State on Sunday, Feb. 20 at 1 p.m.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter