“Soccer ties, loses over weekend”

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The UA womens soccer team took on the Central Florida Knights Friday, Sept. 17, 2010, at Mulcahy Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. Both teams battled to finish in a tie following two overtime periods.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The UA women’s soccer team took on the Central Florida Knights Friday, Sept. 17, 2010, at Mulcahy Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. Both teams battled to finish in a tie following two overtime periods.

There was something missing for the Arizona Wildcats soccer team in its 1-1 tie to Central Florida on Friday and disappointing 5-1 loss to Ohio State on Sunday in the Cats Classic Presented by Loews Ventana Canyon Resort — its leading scorer.

Junior Renae Cuellar did not play for undisclosed reasons in both of Arizona’s matches this weekend, forcing the Wildcats to adjust on offense without her presence. Head coach Lisa Oyen would not answer any questions regarding the severity of Cuellar’s injury.

Unfortunately, the Wildcats’ attack was held in check in both matches and could not provide a spark on Sunday in what Oyen described as the team’s worst performance of the year.

“”This is the first game of the year where we can walk off saying we didn’t come ready to play,”” Oyen said after the game. “”They know they didn’t come out and play the quality of soccer they should have.

“”It’s a tough lesson, if we don’t show up and put out our best effort individually and collectively, it’s just not going to happen.””

The Buckeyes (6-2-1) played aggressive defense on the ball and quickly stifled any scoring chances for the Wildcats throughout the game.

If not for freshman Jensen Skinner’s impressive goal— her third of the season, on a corner kick that she drilled from the corner into the top shelf of the net in the 74th minute — Arizona would have suffered its second shutout loss of the season.

Ohio State’s offense doubled Arizona’s shot attempts 16-8 and featured an attack that was difficult for Arizona (2-4-2) to slow down.

“”They tried to combine a lot up top. They were active and they had a lot of different options,”” Oyen said. “”It wasn’t a matter of us stopping one player but more of stopping the attack collectively. For whatever reason, we weren’t very good with that today.””

Without Cuellar, freshmen Ana Montoya and Jazmin Ponce were asked to step up. Despite the tough result on Sunday, Ponce led the team in shots in both matches, while Montoya scored Arizona’s other goal on Friday against Central Florida (5-2-1) to raise her season total to two.

The Wildcats had a number of scoring opportunities against the Golden Knights on Friday to put the game away but were forced to settle for the tie after 110 minutes of soccer.

“”We had our opportunities to finish the game off in the first 90 minutes, and in overtime,”” Oyen said. “”It took us awhile to realize what it was going to take to match up against a team like this.””

Oyen wouldn’t direct excuses towards Cuellar’s absence but instead focused on rallying a frustrated Arizona team that failed to win back-to-back games for the first time in over a year.  The team will train this week with the bitter taste of a lopsided defeat.

“”It was a little bit somber just because of the outcome,”” Oyen said of the team’s mood.

“”We’re going to bounce back, I know the players weren’t happy with the result as well,”” Oyen said. “”They’re going to work and they’re going to get better until they become the team they want to become.””