UA searches for new VP of external relations

The search is on for a vice president of external relations, a position that serves the UA as communicator of government relations on federal, state and local levels, said President Robert Shelton.

The vice president of external relations will be responsible for university relations, advertising, communication with the media, the UA master calendar and all brand management- including marketing of the UA logo, Shelton said.

“”It’s a huge job,”” he said.

Additionally, the vice president will promote the UA on federal and state levels.

“”We have so many stories to tell, and we need to make sure that they are out there,”” Shelton said.

The position has been vacant since former Vice President Janet Bingham left the UA last year, said Amy Taczanowsky, executive assistant to the vice president of external relations.

Paul Allvin has served as the interim vice president since then, and Shelton said he would like to have the position permanently filled by March.

There have already been many nominations made, and it is possible that the position could be filled by a faculty or staff member within the university, Shelton said.

External relations was known as the the Office of University Advancement until Sept. 1, when Shelton decided to change the name to prevent confusion over the purpose of the office.

“”The original label suggested that the office was involved with fundraising, and it is the UA Foundation and Jim Moore who are primarily responsible for fundraising,”” said Ronald Marx, dean of the College of Education.

Marx said he has been working closely with hired search firm Isaacson, Miller, which is helping the UA to pool candidates for the position.

We have so many stories to tell, and we need to make sure that they are out there.
    – Robert Shelton, UA president

In early December, UA representatives and Isaacson, Miller will meet to discuss the list of potential candidates for the position, Marx said.

The new VP will work closely with the provost and all areas of academia but will report primarily to the president, Shelton said.

“”This will be a person that will help me to communicate things around the state and the nation,”” Shelton said.

The vice president of external relations will also work closely in relation to Maricopa County and Arizona State University, with specific oversight of the new UA Medical School campus in Phoenix, Shelton said.