Mail Bag

Immigration law needs real fix

I am frustrated by the editorial opinion in Tuesday’s Arizona Daily Wildcat about Proposition 300. The editorial stated that this legislation “”targets students who have already overcome many obstacles”” and who “”did not make the choice to come here illegally.”” These statements are true, but overlook the fact that their parents did come here illegally.

I think most people would agree with the idea of karma or “”what goes around comes around”” or “”you reap what you sow.”” These students’ parents made a choice to enter our country illegally, and unfortunately, it may cost their children more to get an education. We are not voting on whether they can attend, but whether they should be able to attend for the same price as people who are here legally. Theÿuniversity offers a quality education at one of the most affordable prices in the nation – even with out-of-state tuition.

Theÿeditorial says that with a college education, these individuals will be able to make a meaningfulÿcontribution toÿsociety. This is also true, but we cannot ignore the factÿthat their presence here is a crime. If we really are upset about this, we need to lobby and campaign to have theÿimmigration law changed! Ifÿit were legal forÿthese individuals to be here, then they would be able to pay in-state tuition like all otherÿArizona residents.

My sister recently moved here from Washington state. She would love to attend the UA, but has to wait until she is a resident so she can afford it. Our parents have decided to not help us pay for school. She did not make that choice. She is an excellent student with an exemplary volunteer and job record, yet a “”few thousand dollars”” is separating her from an education at the UA. In fairness, it makes no sense to penalize her for not being born in Arizona and for being born to parents who have decided not to fund her education. Let’s face it. The choices we make affect other people, and as a parent, I have learned that my actions affect my children a great deal. Let’s get passionate about fixing the real problem and stop trying to put band-aidsÿon illegal immigration.

Rachael Blackketter
    UA alumna

Illegal immigrants still benefit from out-of-state tuition

This country has been divided for the better part of this year about illegal immigration. Each proposition starts the debate all over again. Illegal immigrants do deserve humanitarian rights, but not U.S. citizen rights. That includes Prop. 200 and Prop. 300. To vote, you need a valid proof of citizenship (Prop. 200). And if you are an illegal immigrant, then you are not a citizen of Arizona, nor should you get in-state tuition (Prop. 300). Getting out-of-state tuition is still giving the illegal immigrants the easy way out.

According to the UA Web site, the cost for an out-of-state student is $23,626, whereas the cost for an international student (which foreign citizens would fall under) is $29,554. So instead of complaining about how you are not getting equal rights, remember if you were to go through the correct process you would be spending nearly $6,000 more. Wildcats, exercise your right to vote, and either way it goes, just remember it could be worse.

Sara Pat Badgley
    family studies and human development sophomore

University ‘Bugman’ an ambassador of good will

Thanks for your wonderful article on professor Carl Olson. So often as I read the coming-events section in the newspapers I see where the university’s Bugman is holding a seminar or lecture somewhere in our community. Besides the wonderful information learned from Olson about all our desert insects, stop to think of all the good will this ambassador of our university and its department of entomology does. How many young people will grow up with the desire to study about insects? How many people in our community will come away from one of his talks with not only a newfound interest in insects, but the knowledge that our university does care about the community outside the campus?

Rick Stengel
    Disability Resource Center gym program participant

Cerberus, not Ceres, guards Hades

Regarding Stan Molever’s column yesterday: Ceres is the Roman goddess of grain. Cerberus is the three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades. I find it sad that a UA senior knows exactly who Xena is but not enough to Google Roman mythology facts for a spurious article.

Methinks that Ceres, Cerberus and I need to string him up with my rosary.

Jessica Lynn Howe
    department of physics research technician

Liberals suffer from ‘conservativphobia’

Why is it that every time a conservative expresses his right to free speech, liberals brand opinion as a phobia? If we stand against illegal immigration (notice I said “”illegal””), we are branded as xenophobic. If we say we do not agree with homosexuality, we are called homophobic, and the list goes on. We are not scared of these people, we just don’t agree with their choices and have every right to voice our opinions. (Remember that First Amendment thing that liberals always quote when they say something?) Perhaps liberals are just coming down with a case of conservativphobia.

Alex Hoogasian
    political science senior