Turner set to face extreme DUI charges

Luke Adams
Josiah Turner, 2011-12 University of Arizona Men’s Basketball mug (8/26/2011; 0360)

Former UA point guard Josiah Turner is set to appear in Pima County Justice Court on May 17 after being arrested for driving under the influence early Thursday morning, according to police.

Turner is charged with minor in possession of alcohol in body, MIP operating a vehicle, driving under the influence to the slightest degree, DUI with a blood alcohol content of .08 or greater and extreme DUI with a blood alcohol content of .15 or greater.

Turner was pulled over at Fifth Street and Highland Avenue after running a red light at around 1:31 a.m. on Thursday. When the officer asked Turner for his license, registration and insurance, he was unable to produce any of them.

During the questions, Turner had “slurred speech and was mumbling his answers” and the officer smelled alcohol coming from him.

The officer asked Turner to step out of the car he was driving, a 1993 Infiniti Sedan, so he could determine who the owner of the car was. Turner kept saying that he was driving his “bro’s car and just wanted to park it and get back to his dorm,” according to the police report. When asked if he knew the car owner’s name, Turner said he only knew the first name. Another officer arrived and administered tests to determine if Turner was under the influence.

When the second officer arrived, Turner was leaning against his car. Turner identified himself with his CatCard and said he had never been issued a driver’s license. The officer noticed that Turner had a “strong odor of intoxicants emitting from his breath” and that Turner’s eyes were red and watery. Turner admitted to drinking alcohol that night, a “shot or two of beer.”

Based on his performance in sobriety tests and the results of a portable breath test, Turner was arrested at 2:06 a.m.

After being handcuffed and taken to UAPD, Turner agreed to submit to a test. The arresting officer conducted two breath tests using a Breathalyzer, and the results of the breath tests were 0.15 and 0.16 BAC, well over the legal limit of 0.08.

The officer prepared a Dean of Students referral for Turner, and Turner was released to his friend at 3:37 a.m.