Online Comments: Aug. 27

On ‘Rhetoric onimmigration doesnothing but scare’

I, for one, work on the border, and you could not be more ignorant! I suggest you spend a few days on the border and see what we go through. Border Patrol vehicles are everywhere? They are in certain areas, but there is a vast area where we do not get to. The drugs and human smuggling are worse now than they were when I first started working the border. I have had rocks thrown at me. I have been shot at. I have been spit on. You name it — and some of this is on a weekly basis! The amount of drugs we get in a week is staggering! Just imagine what we don’t catch. Meth, cocaine, marijuana … these people will kill anyone to protect it. This is what we are fighting.

— Anonymous

As I see from a few of the responses, a rational discussion regarding immigration is hard to come by these days. Thank you for writing a very insightful, thought-provoking article. Some of our politicians and cable news channels are doing their best to stir up the frenzy and mass hysteria regarding this very important issue. I had no idea that I lived in the kidnapping capital of the world or that we had beheadings everywhere until Jan Brewer, Russell Pearce, etc. told us. Great way to also promote tourism for our state! Again, thank you, Andrew, and I look forward to reading more of your articles. Keep up the good work.

— Karen Q.

On ‘University of Arizona tumbles in newest U.S. News & World Report rankings’

Of course UA doesn’t pay attention to the rankings because they are so low. Maybe the school should wake up and realize how important prestige is toward endowment growth, recruiting better teachers, helping students land better jobs, etc. I don’t think I have ever heard someone choose UA for its prestige or academics. But if they want to never make a run at being a top public school such as UCLA, UVA, Texas, etc., so be it.

— Anonymous