SDSU cruises past Northern Colorado

For the first time in its men’s basketball program’s history, San Diego State University won a game in the NCAA Tournament, defeating the University of Northern Colorado 68-50.

“”It’s kind of relieving, but we’re not satisfied yet,”” said senior guard D.J. Gay. “”We know we’re a very good team capable of making a run. This one feels good, but if we win the next one, it’ll feel a lot better.””

Sophomore forward Kawhi Leonard paced the Aztecs with 21 points on 3-of-5 from behind the arc.

“”Coach (Steve) Fisher did a good job at our shoot around letting us put up shots and get our rhythm on the court,”” Leonard said. “”I just felt confident shooting the ball.””

Northern Colorado trailed by only six at the halftime break and got the Aztec lead as low as three early in the second half before giving way to a SDSU run to put the finishing touches on the victory.

“”I don’t think our guys were intimidated,”” said UNC coach B.J. Hill. “”They just went out and did what they’ve done. We followed the game plan for about 34 minutes tonight … when they shoot the ball like that, not many teams in the country are going to beat them.””

SDSU shot at a 41 percent clip from both the field and from three-point range, but the number from behind the arc is what hurt the Bears.

Would Arizona beat SDSU?

No.

It would be a tall task, especially with Derrick Williams having to deal with someone either bigger than him (Brian Carlwell), or someone just as athletic (Leonard). It’s the type of game that could see Williams get into foul trouble early.

When the Aztecs are hitting their outside shots like they were against UNC, not very many teams in America are going to hang with them.

Arizona would need points in a variety of ways – and with Kyle Fogg’s recent resurgence the Wildcats have added another outside threat – but the Wildcats have struggled with teams that are either bigger or just as athletic, and SDSU is both – and would come out on top in a potential Elite Eight matchup.