“Trending up, trending down: July 21”

Trending up:

Elena Kagan’s Supreme Court nomination: President Obama’s choice for the highest court in the land got a big boost after being approved by the Senate Judiciary committee by a vote of 13-6. One Republican joined the 12 Democrats in supporting Kagan’s nomination.

British Petroleum: After months of nonstop pollution and potentially irreversible environmental damage, BP has successfully placed a cap over the wrecked Deepwater Horizon well in the Gulf of Mexico. The cap temporarily stemmed the flow of oil into the Gulf, but it may not be a permanent solution to the problem.

People who know what entomologists are: In a tremendous leap forward in disease prevention, UA entomologists (insect researchers) have genetically engineered a mosquito that is immune to the parasite that causes malaria, one of the most virulent diseases in the developing world.

Trending down:

Lance Armstrong: The seven-time Tour de France winner came into cycling’s premier race with hopes of an unprecedented eighth title. A week later, he is reduced to hoping for a single stage win.

Tempe Town Lake: A rubberized, inflatable dam at one end of the lake, which sits at the base of ASU’s version of “”A”” Mountain, burst, sending countless gallons of water into the normally dry Salt River bed. This is what happens when you make a dam out of balloons. Previously rejected: An ASU proposal to build the dam out of cotton candy.

Lindsay Lohan: The beleaguered actress has begun serving her 90-day prison sentence for violating the terms of her probation. To be completely honest though, she has been trending down ever since “”The Parent Trap.””