Opponents glad to see last of Foles

Will+Ferguson+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AThe+Oregon+Ducks+beat+the+Arizona+Wildcats+56-31+during+a+Saturday%2C+Sept.+24+match+at+the+UA+football+stadium+in+Tucson%2C+Arizona.+
Will Ferguson
Will Ferguson / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Oregon Ducks beat the Arizona Wildcats 56-31 during a Saturday, Sept. 24 match at the UA football stadium in Tucson, Arizona.

If there’s any silver lining to Arizona’s nightmarish start to the 2011 season, it’s quarterback Nick Foles.

Despite a few crucial dropped passes, the 6-foot-5, 240-pound quarterback completed 34-of-57 passes for 398 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions against Oregon.

He battled five sacks, constant pressure, a sore back and even completed a 12-yard pass to running back Keola Antolin left handed.

“That kid’s a warrior,” said Oregon head coach Chip Kelly. “He’s as good of a quarterback as there is in the country. He’s tough, he’s smart, he’s accurate. He keeps plays alive.

“I’m a huge Nick Foles fan,” Kelly added. “I’m glad we don’t have to face him anymore but he’s a special, special football player.”

Foles has completed 70.5 percent of his balls, thrown for 361.8 yards per game, 10 touchdowns and, most impressively, zero interceptions.

“I thought Nick again was spectacular,” said UA head coach Mike Stoops. “He continues to be just a great player. I think his play speaks for itself. He gets a lot of respect from his competitors.”

Even when it seems like Foles is having a quiet game, the box score says otherwise. He’s thrown for 398 yards or more in three of the four games this season and ranks fourth in the NCAA in passing yards and 14th in completion percentage.

Of the top 30 quarterbacks in the country in terms of passing yards, Foles is the only quarterback yet to throw an interception. He’s been sacked 12 times, the seventh most of any quarterback in the country, yet he’s managed the game and given a struggling Arizona team some glimmer of hope.

“I’m glad Nick Foles is graduating, I can tell you that,” Kelly said. “He’s a hell of a football player. You knew you weren’t going to keep him down the whole time and he was going to continue to make plays.

“I really catch myself watching him sometimes and going ‘wow, that was impressive.’