ASUA rejects full club funding

Elections and presidential appointments are on tap for the Wednesday ASUA meeting.

Tabled from two weeks prior, the verification for election dates is up for discussion, one of several landmarks in the fall for the heavily spring process.

“”We’re trying to work with GPSC (Graduate and Professional Student Council) and the Faculty Senate (which caused the delay). Ideally we would like to see a week of elections, so we tried to postpone that to see what we can do with that,”” said Michael Colletti, this year’s elections commissioner, replacing Jean Piscitello.

Each year, as per 2-1.01 of the 2010 ASUA Elections Code the following dates for the spring primaries and general elections for ASUA executive positions need senate approval.

Colletti noted that in October and November adjustments to the elections code will help further flush out updating elections for the 2010-11 school year.

Staring early, Colletti said, is key to making them run smoothly.

Also, at the meeting, the twice-tabled National Pan-Hellenic Council funding, for the group, which governs traditionally African-American fraternities and sororities, will receive funding, but only $1,050, about a quarter of what it was asking for.

From the allocations board, despite the $22,006.59 total requested for allocation, only $8,250.06 was allocated for this week, only $14,917.06 for the year.

Presidential appointments of the diversity director, safety director and a marketing director may be approved during the meeting.

The appointments of the proposed diversity director, Kyira Hankton, the safety executive director, Reid Nelson and the marketing director, William Chase Miller are the final piece of new business for the meeting.