Q&A; with Tarquin MacManus

Q&A; with Tarquin MacManus

After finishing in a disappointing ninth place at the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, the Arizona men’s golf team now waits on regional play announcements. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with junior Tarquin MacManus to discuss his future and his thoughts on the year.

What do you think that you did best this year?

I’m not that happy about the way I performed throughout the year. I think I made a few pretty bad errors at time, but, as a whole, I think my putting was the best.

What do you think is something that you need to improve on?

Making the right decisions at the right times I tend to get aggressive, and that cost me a few times.  I need to know when to hold back a little bit.

What do you think you improved most from the beginning of the year to the end of the year?

Putting … it definitely improved a lot but still has a ways to go.

What is one that that stands out to you about this year?

As a team, we showed that we have the capability to compete with anyone in the country … it just comes down to us finishing. Memory-wise I won a tournament, so that’s a good memory, but, as a whole, there weren’t too many great ones.

What are your plans for summer, as far as golf goes?

I’m going home for a while, so I’ll work on my game there before coming back over here and playing three or four tournaments towards the end of summer.

What tour are you looking at for when you start professional play?

It’s still up in the air — I’m going to talk to coach and some family about it, but I’d like to do it over here (in the U.S.). It’s where the money’s at, and if I fine-tune my game, I feel like I can compete anywhere.

What is your summer workout program?

I’m just going to be doing some normal gym training and cardio … I want to work on flexibility and just getting leaner.

What is one thing to focus on for NCAA Regional?

Just knowing when to be aggressive. Being aggressive and conservative at the same time. I go into every tournament wanting and expecting to do well myself, but our main goal, as a team, is to finish high and make it to nationals.

What is it like not knowing if the season is over or not?

I’m pretty confident we’ll make it to regionals, I’m not too worried about that — it would be a big shock if we didn’t get in. We just have to go there and play well, and, if not, our season comes to an end.

Ready for leadership role as a senior?

Yeah, I feel like the last few years, I’ve played every event. I’ve always felt that I could lead the guys … I didn’t really think about not being a senior affecting that at all, but I definitely feel like I’m ready for that role.