Hot N’ Not: September 3

Rebecca Marie Sansett

Arizona redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon (12) warms up with Arizona redshirt sophomore quarterback Connor Brewer (11) during pregame warm-ups at Arizona Stadium on Friday.

Hot

Anu Solomon not only became the first freshman to start at quarterback for Arizona football in a season opener, he also set a freshman passing record with 425 yards. His 425 yards of total offense was the fourth highest in UA history. In addition, Solomon was named the Athlon Sports National Freshman of the Week and a Manning Award Star of the Week.

Arizona football senior running back Terris Jones-Grigsby rushed for over 100 yards by halftime in the Wildcats’ 58-13 win over UNLV and finished with 124 yards on 13 carries. The loss of Ka’Deem Carey seems a little less devastating.

The Pac-12 named Arizona volleyball senior outside hitter Madi Kingdon offensive player of the week. Kingdon had 64 kills and hit .361 in earning MVP honors at the Green Bay Tournament as the Wildcats went 3-0.

Three-time defending FCS champion North Dakota State beat Iowa State 34-14 to extend its winning streak over FBS teams to five. The Bison lost 12 starters from a year ago but own the fourth longest winning streak against FBS teams.

Not

Last week, USC football captain Josh Shaw admitted he made up a story about spraining both his ankles saving his nephew. Then Trojan Anthony Brown quit the team and called head coach Steve Sarkisian racist. ESPN’s John Anderson called USC a “clown college.”

Texas football beat North Texas 38-7, but it may have lost quarterback David Ash indefinitely due to concussions. The Longhorns probably could use former UT signal caller Connor Brewer, who was the fourth Arizona quarterback to play on Friday and scored a touchdown.

After its 0-0 draw with Burnley, Manchester United is winless through four games in the Barclays Premier League. Man United is the most valuable sports team in the world, according to Forbes, at $1.86 billion.

Just three days after the NFL announced tougher penalties for domestic violence, San Francisco 49er Ray McDonald was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. The new policy calls for a six-game suspension for a first offense and a lifetime ban from the NFL for the second.

—Follow James Kelley @jameskelley520