Regents approve UA’s proposed $1.1 billion budget

Arizona+Regent+Jay+Heiler+speaks+at+the+Arizona+Board+of+Regents+meeting+in+Tucson+on+Thursday%2C+April+7.+
Darien Bakas
Arizona Regent Jay Heiler speaks at the Arizona Board of Regents meeting in Tucson on Thursday, April 7.

The Arizona Board of Regents approved all three state universities’ budgets and reviewed their revenues this week at their June board meeting in Flagstaff.

Next year UA will spend more than $1.1 billion on things like benefits, enrollment related expenditures, employee salaries, infrastructure and initiatives.

UA budget documents detail what exactly the money will go towards, as well as how much the UA is expecting in revenue this upcoming school year.

While this year’s budget is $77 million higher than last year’s, only $16.2 million will come from state funding, the other $61.6 million will come from the 2017 fiscal year tuition and fee revenues.

Despite Gov. Doug Ducey giving state universities an additional $32 million this year, the Arizona university system has yet to fully recover from $99 million lost in education cuts last year.

Highlights of the $77 million 2017 fiscal year budget increase:
  • $14.8 million for enrollment growth related expenditures
  • $9.5 million for employee and staff salary adjustments
  • $8.0 million investment into the new veterinary medicine program
  • $7.1 million for facilities, IT infrastructure and security
  • $6.2 million for the retention and recruitment of staff and faculty

UA’s total net revenues are expected to increase by $120.2 million due to significant changes in grants and contracts, tuition and fees and state funding.

FY 2017 Revenue Highlights:
  • $15.8 million increase in state funding, some of which will go towards the Research Infrastructure Capital Lease Payment and the new Center for the Philosophy of Freedom
  • $67.4 million increase in tuition and fee due to tuition increase and enrollment growth
  • $98 million increase in contracts and grants.

Comparatively, Northern Arizona University’s budget is increasing by $35.2 million, to become almost $397 million.

Arizona State University’s budget for the 2017 fiscal year will be over $1.9 billion, an $133.6 million increase from last year.

UA’s FY 2017 Capital Development Plan was also approved, meaning the UA’s total project budget will be $341.7 million.

The five already approved projects included in their plan are:
  • $16 million for phase two of a north campus infrastructure, which is currently on hold
  • $18.5 million for a 282,000-square-foot south stadium parking structure
  • $63 million for a engineering innovation building which is also on hold
  • $79.2 million interdisciplinary chemical science renovation and expansion project that’s currently on hold
  • $165 million for a 212,000-square-foot health sciences innovation building

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.