Three ways to win, Three ways to lose: Arizona vs. UCLA

Johnny+Jackson+%2830%29+catches+a+pass+in+Arizonas+77-13+win+against+NAU+on+Sept.+24.+The+Wildcats+tallied+792+total+offensive+yards+in+the+victory.+

Johnny Jackson (30) catches a pass in Arizona’s 77-13 win against NAU on Sept. 24. The Wildcats tallied 792 total offensive yards in the victory.

Three ways to win

Scooby Scooby Scooby can’t you see?

Arizona All-American Scooby Wright III is listed as questionable for Saturday’s matchup with No. 9 UCLA, but the chance of the junior taking another step back is possible. That being said, Arizona fans shouldn’t be surprised if Tre Tyler runs out on the opening drive rather than Wright. 

This might be the best option for Rich Rodriguez considering the Wildcats have to take a trip up north to Stanford and despite this week, being a pivotal game for Arizona. Wright on the other hand is anxious to return, but using Wright as insurance just in case Tyler doesn’t perform well under the microscope. If Arizona can get 30 plays from Wright Saturday, then it should be an interesting matchup. Rich Rod updated Wright’s status Saturday morning, saying that No. 33 will play.

Ruin the Bruins

The trend for Arizona fans is #RuinTheBruins and even though it sounds cliché, Arizona will have to do just that. The Bruins are in a world of pain after losing linebacker Myles Jack for a season to an anterior meniscus tear. Primetime slot on ABC, College Game Day and the destiny of the Pac-12 South on the line spells out beat down for Arizona. There’s also a battle within the battle for Rich Rod. Rodriguez is a mastermind of developing his recruiting at Arizona and with brand new all-red chrome helmets on a national televised game with a sold out Arizona stadium, Rodriguez can’t help but lick his chops.

Pressure the Freshman

UCLA freshman quarterback Josh Rosen has proven his worth in his first three appearances for the Bruins. The freshman has thrown over 100-yards per game and scored in every game thus far. If Reggie Gilbert, Anthony Fotu and the linebackers can add just a little pressure, the freshman will crumble like a cookie and the game will turn into Arizona’s offensive game to lose. At least that’s what happened during the BYU-UCLA game last week. 

Three ways to lose:

Understanding the presence of Jack

Any consistent viewer of Pac-12 football knows exactly what Myles Jack can do and his ability to create plays. If Arizona were to lose, it would be simply because of overlooking whoever replaces him. The talk of the town is the pump-and-run offense that is Arizona and if the Wildcats don’t take advantage of the opportunity, Bruins defense would love to steal one in the Old Pueblo.

USC 2.0

Two words create nightmares for Arizona fans when it comes to playing Los Angeles schools. Casey Skowron. The kicker dealt with criticism for an entire week after missing the game winning field goal against the Trojans. Skowron is in his last season at Arizona and hopes to improve his stock for the NFL. Missing field goals and costing the team a win, will not be acceptable for Arizona fans so avoiding the situation similar from the USC game last season.

Arizona defense & Paul Perkins

The Wildcats secondary let up big passing plays against NAU last week, which can’t happen against a UCLA team with Josh Rosen. Plus, UCLA features one of the top running backs in the Pac-12 with Paul Perkins. On 58 attempts, Perkins has totaled 429 yards of total offense and three touchdowns. Sounds a little bit like Nick Wilson’s stat line-62 attempts, totaling 434 yards and five touchdowns. Watch out for the running backs in this game. 

Follow Justin Spears on Twitter.