Student Recreation Center targets community

The Campus Recreation Center isn’t just for students.

Campus Recreation is holding its first Wellness Week of the year to promote the Rec Center to faculty, staff, retirees and alumni. UA community members can work out for free from Sept. 9 to 12.

“”Wellness Week is pretty much an outreach to the UA community,”” said Chad Jeffry, marketing specialist for Campus Recreation. “”Kind of as a little ‘try-out’ of the Rec Center.””

Students primarily use the Recreation Center though it is open to all UA community members.

“”It’s about 5 percent right now that’s faculty and staff,”” Jeffry said.

Some UA community members might be deterred by the large percentage of students.

“”I think someone in their mid-40s might easily be intimidated working out with someone in their early 20s with a body of steel,”” said a Student Union  employee.  

Nancy Rogers, coordinator of worksite wellness and health promotion for UA Life and Work Connection, said the Recreation Center is a useful resource for staff and faculty.

“”We encourage people to use the Rec Center because they have state-of-the-art equipment and great personal trainers,”” Rogers said.

The Recreation Center may help faculty and staff maintain a healthy lifestyle because they can work out before leaving campus.

“”Once people go home and settle in, it’s really hard to go out and get physical activity,”” Rogers said.

Wolfgang Schmid, assistant research professor in Hydrology and Water Resources, uses the Rec Center about twice a week when he’s on campus.

“”That’s at least a goal,”” Schmid said. “”I go whenever I want.””

Schmid purchased his membership through payroll deduction. He said the Rec Center is a beneficial resource even though many employees are busy.

“”It’s hard if you’re in a full-time position,”” Schmid said.

UA community members looking to use the Recreation Center can buy a semester pass or an annual pass.

“”We also have some pricing incentives (during Wellness Week),”” Jeffry said.

Campus Recreation plans on having an additional four Wellness Weeks throughout the academic year.

“”A lot of people who do come are fairly surprised by what’s here,”” Jeffry said. “”We just want to make sure they know it’s here and ready for them.””