Volleyball swept again by No. 18 CSU

UA middle blocker Dominique Lamb stays in the air after spiking the ball during the Wildcats three-game loss to No. 18 Colorado State on Friday night in McKale Center. The senior recorded her 507th block assist to take over at second place on the all-time list.
    UA middle blocker Dominique Lamb stays in the air after spiking the ball during the Wildcats’ three-game loss to No. 18 Colorado State on Friday night in McKale Center. The senior recorded her 507th block assist to take over at second place on the all-time list.

It was another hotly contested battle. And another loss for the Arizona volleyball team.

The Wildcats lost in three games to No. 18 Colorado State on Friday night in McKale Center.

The Rams (19-5, 11-2 Mountain West Conference) downed the Wildcats (13-14, 3-11 Pacific 10 Conference) by scores of 30-28, 30-27 and 30-28.

The loss marks the eighth sweep Arizona has suffered in the last 12 matches and the eighth match in the same span in which the final game has been within two or three points.

“”It feels like a broken record,”” said UA opposite hitter Randy Goodenough.

With the Wildcats down 16-8 in game three, setter Paige Weber looked back at her five teammates on the court.

“”Come on ‘Cats,”” she said. “”Don’t give up on this game.””

The words sparked a 10-4 run that cut the lead to 20-18. Arizona eventually took a 27-26 lead, but three straight Rams points sealed the win for the game and the match.

“”I don’t feel like we ever gave up,”” said outside hitter Tiffany Owens, who led Arizona with 12 kills and 10 digs. “”We fought up to get to where we were supposed to be and just fell short.””

Neither team hit particularly well. The Wildcats finished with .057 hitting, and the Rams .171, more than 100 points below their season average. Two players on each team had a negative hitting percentage.

“”I don’t think Colorado State played a very good game,”” said UA head coach Dave Rubio. “”What kept them in the game was their blocking.””

CSU posted 18 team blocks that included 30 block assists to Arizona’s 10. Middle blocker Tessa Nelson had a match-high 10 block assists.

“”It felt like every time I went up to hit, they’d always be touching (the ball) or blocking it,”” said Owens, who had a match-high 50 swings. “”In the Pac-10, they have good blockers but it just – “”

“” – it just seemed a lot different for some reason,”” Goodenough cut in. “”I don’t feel like we ever backed down from the double-block, but I don’t feel like we adjusted to it soon enough or well enough.””

The Rams started game one on a 7-2 run. They led the entire way until a solo block by Dominique Lamb tied the game at 18. The block put Lamb in second place on Arizona’s all-time total block list with 507, passing Charita Johnson (1991-1994). Lamb had four blocks in the game and is now 22 blocks away from tying the school record.

An Owens kill tied game one at 27, but the Wildcats couldn’t hold on.

Rubio altered his lineup a bit for the matchup, returning Alanna Resch to libero. Brittany Leonard, who played libero for the last three matches, played as a defensive specialist.

Freshman Stephanie Snow got some rare playing time, and junior Audrey Bockerstette, a Tucson native, played for the first time this season, getting seven digs.

“”She was outstanding,”” Rubio said of Bockerstette, smiling. “”She was terrific.””

The Wildcats need to win three of their final four matches to reach the postseason. With the final four games against ranked California schools, Rubio said his team is playing for more than just a playoff berth.

“”With two weeks left, what are you playing for now?”” Rubio said. “”As I said to the team, you’re playing for pride, you’re playing to get better, you’re playing for the seniors.

“”You’re playing for all the reasons you should be playing,”” he added. “”You’re playing for the love of the game.