Arizona WBB unable to complete comeback, loses to No. 2 Stanford in National Championship rematch

Caitlin Claypool

Shaina Pellington (1) prepares to make a pass during a game on Thursday, Dec. 9 in McKale Center. Arizona ultimately beat North Dakota State 59-47. 

The Arizona women’s basketball team lost on the road to No. 2 Stanford today 75-69 in Stanford, Calif. 

“Stanford is a really good team and we have to play better. At the end of the second quarter it really hurt us when they went on a run. In the fourth quarter we just got murdered on the inside,” head coach Adia Barnes said. 

The Wildcats had three players in double-digits. Cate Reese led the team with 17 points, shot 38% (6-16) from the field and 50% (3/6) from the three. Shaina Pellington scored 16 points and shot 47% (7/15) from the field and Bendu Yeaney scored 10 points. She shot 50% (4/8) from the field and 67% (2/3) from the three.

RELATED: No. 8 Arizona WBB overcomes double digit deficit to beat UCLA on the road by 11 points

Stanford and Arizona kept it close in the first quarter with Stanford taking a one-point lead going into the second quarter. In the second quarter, Stanford built on their lead taking an eight-point lead into the half. Arizona would come back and make it a one-point game in the third quarter. Stanford weathered the Wildcats storm and built back their lead to propel them to a victory.

Arizona shot the ball 46% (28/61) from the field, 47% (7/15) from the three and 67% (6/9) from the free-throw line. 

Arizona’s defense allowed Stanford to shoot the ball 52% (28/54) from the field and 47% (9/19) from the three. The Wildcat’s defense did force 18 turnovers which led to 22 points off of turnovers. 

“They were isolating us inside. They did that from the first possession in the third quarter. Just trying to go at us in the paint. We didn’t really have an answer. I think we really got out-muscled on the inside,” head coach Barnes said.

Arizona is back at home against the University of Oregon on Friday, Feb. 4.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter