Mailbag: Aug. 25

In response to: ‘Reproductive rights, not women, need protecting’

Kristina Bui’s editorial repeats all of Planned Parenthood’s tired talking points about pro-lifers not caring for women and yet, there are twice as many pro-life pregnancy care centers as there are abortion clinics.

When I was 18, I used to agree with you. Then I changed my opinion on this issue when I learned that all life has purpose. I suppose that “preacher” already knew that and was trying to convey that to you. I also suppose he has been in the company of women who’ve had abortions early in life and are now trying to start a family. Some are sterilized because of a botched abortion procedure. Some can’t overcome the guilt, especially on Mother’s Day. And some have finally forgiven themselves and have made it their mission to encourage women that they are strong enough to have a child; to encourage women that the gift of life is the most precious gift available to us. Far from forcing women to be hosts for a “parasite-like fetus,” those who are pro-life (and most people in general) understand that babies are not anything like a parasite, biologically or otherwise. As is so often the case, the truth lies behind the rhetoric.

The Abortion Consent Act, which was upheld by the Court of Appeals and has resulted in Planned Parenthood limiting its abortion services, was necessary because of just how far out of the medical mainstream Planned Parenthood’s abortion practice is. Planned Parenthood was using nurses, rather than doctors, for surgical abortions. Four prominent Arizona obstetrician/gynecologists testified in the lawsuit that it’s substandard medicine for anyone other than a licensed doctor to perform a surgical abortion.

Also, women didn’t meet with the abortionist until the actual procedure. Instead, nurses read a script to patients over the phone. The four OB/GYNs testified that it’s substandard for a patient to undergo surgery without a face-to-face consultation with her doctor well ahead of the procedure. Bui asks, “who or what do women need protection from?” Based on this testimony, I’d say they needed protection from Planned Parenthood.

_— Doug Newborn
    Third-year law student and president of Advocates for Life, a College of Law student organization_