Commencement: The goats of Arizona athletics

Grant Jerrett

Grant Jerrett’s legacy, or rather infamy, has yet to be set in stone. Once the final pick in the 2013 NBA Draft is made in June, the true absurdity of Jerrett’s decision to leave after his freshman season will finally become clear.

Jerrett, who averaged 5.2 points and 3.6 rebounds in 17.8 minutes a game, was the seventh man on the Wildcats’ roster during their Sweet Sixteen run. It’s not that Jerrett doesn’t have talent; he was ESPN’s No. 9 recruit entering the season.

The freshman just played like a freshman — he was lost at times, raw offensively and unassertive in the post. Sure, he proved to have range and length, two very useful qualities at the next level, but it just wasn’t his time.

The truth about why Jerrett left may come out eventually, because it had nothing to do with logic. And there’s still hope for his basketball career, even if his path takes him to Europe or the D-League first.

Ultimately, though, the unexpected departure means a failed career at Arizona. The McDonald’s All-American finished with 176 points and 122 rebounds as a Wildcat, and his final moment in a UA jersey was a botched switch against Ohio State’s LaQuinton Ross.

On the final play of the game, Jerrett left Ross wide open, and the Buckeyes nailed a game-winning three to move OSU to the Elite Eight. This isn’t exactly Jerrett leaving on top.

— Kyle Johnson

ZonaZoo/students embarrass

The days of a 12,000-member ZonaZoo and students wanting to go to football games so bad that they rioted are long gone. So few ZonaZoo passes were sold, many students didn’t show and so many left games early that the football student section was slashed, losing two of its nine sections.

— James Kelley

Pac-12/Direct-TV

Oh sweet — the Pac-12 Network has gone live! Now I can enjoy all-day programming of great Pac-12 sports, including several Wildcat football and basketball games. Just kidding, I have DirecTV.

Since DirecTV couldn’t reach a deal with the Network, the debut was extremely anti-climactic. It left thousands of Wildcat fans without access to the channel, meaning no access to football and basketball games.

To this day, DirecTV and the Pac-12 Network have yet to reach an agreement. In fact, DirecTV has a statement on its website about the matter. An excerpt: “Regardless, we stand ready to agree to add the network if they propose a deal that’s fair.”

Yeah, OK, DirecTV.

— Scarlett McCourt

Lisa Oyen

This isn’t the first time Oyen has appeared on this list, but it will be the last. Oyen, the former soccer coach, resigned at the end of the season after the Wildcats went 6-11-3, one year after finishing with a historically bad 1-16-2. New head coach Tony Amato has his work cut out for him.

— Zack Rosenblatt

Ed Rush/Pac-12

If you watch SportsCenter, or care about college basketball, then you’ve certainly heard Sean Miller’s “He touched the ball” rant in a press conference at the Pac-12 tournament. Miller was upset because of a poor call by the officials, which led to his first technical foul of the season. A week later, Miller was fined by the Pac-12 for berating an official after the game. But, after the season ended, it was found that Ed Rush, the Pac-12 coordinator of officials, offered $5,000 or a trip to Cancun to referees to call a technical foul or ejection on Miller. Rush no longer has a job and that’s no coincidence.

— Zack Rosenblatt