‘The Voice’ returns to show America what real star power is

“The Voice,” NBC’s team-based answer to “American Idol,” kicked off its two-night premiere by reminding viewers who the real stars are.

The coaches’ rendition of The Beatles’ “Come Together” introduced Shakira and Usher as the new coaches for the fourth season. The two additions cemented themselves as contenders to dethrone back-to-back champion and country superstar Blake Shelton.

Shelton started off his third campaign strong, roping in The Morgan Twins, whose cover of Alicia Keys’ “Fallin’” was just as jaw-dropping as the blond bombshell twins themselves.

The twins got all four coaches to turn around, the sign of unanimous approval on “The Voice,” making the pair early front-runners for advancing to the live playoffs. In seasons past, duets haven’t panned out on the show, but these twins have the skills to go far.

Shelton didn’t waste any time adding them to his team, also snapping up 16-year-old Danielle Bradbery, who had never sung in front of a live audience before her performance on “The Voice.”

After Bradbery’s performance of Taylor Swift’s “Mean,” Usher made a sly comment about how he discovered Justin Bieber to try to lure in the talented teen, but she couldn’t be swayed from her country roots, choosing Team Blake instead. Her inexperience and young age could lead to an early exit, but she has the right coach to guide her.

The first night ended with Maroon 5’s Adam Levine recruiting his first team member, Judith Hill, a former backup singer for Michael Jackson. Hill received a standing ovation from Levine and Shakira, as well as getting all four coaches to turn around. After Hill was rewarded with a spot on Team Adam, the lead singer declared, “[Hill is] going to be a Grammy-winning superstar” — quite the compliment coming from a man with a few Grammys himself.

On night two, Shakira was right on point, pitching great advice and praise and adding country singer Tawnya Reynolds and Spanish-singing Cathia to her team. Cathia was impressive, and definitely has the right coach guiding her, but unless she translates well into English songs, she could have trouble moving forward.

Levine picked up the night’s two best performances in Sarah Simmons and duo Midas Whale. Both got all four coaches to press their buttons, and Simmons broke out as the early favorite to win the show. Levine claimed that Simmons “can win this show,” and Shelton dubbed her “in the top three singers to ever audition for ‘The Voice.’”

As of right now, Levine has put himself in an excellent position to regain the champion’s throne, but don’t count Shelton out yet. Even though he was shut out on night two, he’s still put together a talented and competitive team.

New coaches Shakira and Usher seem much more passionate about the show and contestants than former coaches Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera. Usher is charismatic and more outspoken than Cee Lo, and if he keeps playing the Bieber card, he could easily steal some of the top talent away from the two experienced coaches, Levine and Shelton.

The field of contestants still seems much weaker this season than last season, which was headlined and won by Warped Tour alumna Cassadee Pope.

“The Voice” desperately needs Pope to succeed for the show to gain credibility. Season one winner Javier Colon has since parted ways with Universal Records and is again unsigned, and season two winner Jermaine Paul has gone nowhere, delaying his album release yet again. Season four shows promise, but only time will tell.