Arizona volleyball: ASU Preview

Amy Bailey
Wildcat Devyn Cross (13) strikes the ball over San Diego’s defense during the Arizona-SDSU match at McKale Memorial Center on Friday August 31 in Tucson Arizona. The wildcats finished the match winning three games to zero.

With the end of non-conference play this past weekend in the McKale-hosted Wildcat Classic, the University of Arizona volleyball team heads into conference play with a formidable 11-1 record.

On Thursday, Sept. 20, the Arizona Wildcats will take on the Arizona State University Sun Devils at 7 p.m. in McKale Center in Tucson to kick off conference play for the 2018 season.

Arizona volleyball has its best twelve-game start since the 2014 season, when the team also went 11-1 in its first dozen games.

In addition to having an 11-1 overall record, head coach Dave Rubio racked up his 500th career win as the Wildcats’ head coach this weekend after defeating New Mexico State University on Friday night. He will be looking to add to that tally on Friday night as he faces his toughest challenge this season. 

RELATED: Wildcats go undefeated in last invitational before conference play

The Sun Devils enter conference play with a 9-3 record, dropping games to the University of Missouri (1-3), the University of Wyoming (1-3) and Texas State University (0-3). Last season the Wildcats swept the Sun Devils (2-0) during conference play, winning the first game 3-0 and the second game 3-1. 

“I’m excited. I’m excited to open up at home against them. They always give us their best shot, and we’re going to give them the same,” said senior Kendra Dahlke to Arizona Athletics, heading into the first conference game of the season.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter