Gymcats open at home

The Gymcats had an unforgettable win last week against ASU in Tempe and hope to use that momentum for the rest of the season.

The No. 20 Arizona gymnastics team will face off against the California Golden Bears Friday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. in the McKale Center.

It will be the first home meet for the Gymcats (1-2), who are excited to perform in front of the home crowd. The Golden Bears (0-2) are still looking for their first win of the season.

“”We know that we can compete with anybody, but we also know that if we don’t take care of our own business, we won’t compete with anybody,”” said head coach Bill Ryden. “”So we just don’t want to beat ourselves. You’re only as good as your last competition, so after tomorrow ASU will be totally gone.””

Look forward is the only thing the team can do when they host the Golden Bears.

“”You move on,”” said assistant head coach Colleen Johnson. “”With a meet every Friday night, you get excited about it, you relish in the moment, and the next day it’s back to business. We certainly weren’t perfect. We got a lot of room for improvement.””

The Gymcats are emerging as a stronger team as they get some women back from injury and illness. Deanna Graham, who has been solid for the Gymcats all year, was not able to travel to ASU with the team due to illness.

“”I’m feeling so good, so excited to be back training. It was really hard watching the team compete,”” said Graham. “”I can’t even explain how hard it was (not being able to participate). I was so disappointed, but I still believed in the team. Just sat at home, I couldn’t watch online, but I watch the scores.””

Last year, Matusik competed beam at all 13 meets as a freshman but has been unable to compete this year due to injury. She will team up with Britnie Jones, who has already won first place on beam in two out of three meets this year. Ryden expects to have Matusik back within the next couple weeks.

Of getting the women back in the gym, Ryden said, “”We just need depth, we need more routines. Plus, (Katie Matusik) was our best beam worker last year, so you just combine that with already good beam workers, and we’re just going to get better.””