‘Role Models’ less than exciting

The Gallagher Theater continued to build its resume of free preview films on Oct. 17 with director David Wain’s “”Role Models,”” which will be released in theaters Nov. 7. To say the atmosphere in the theater on Friday was enthusiastic would be an understatement. The trailers weren’t promising, and the free T-shirts and promise of a Q&A with producer and UA alum Scott Stuber may have caused more of the excitability than the prospects of the film itself.

The plot line is predictable at best. Danny Donahue (Paul Rudd) and Wheeler (Seann William Scott) find themselves facing 150 hours of community service after their company car winds up impaled on an elementary school statue. The idea behind the program is to foster meaningful relationships with the enrolled kids, many of whom fit the typical troubled-youth-of-today cookie cutter. Of course, Danny and Wheeler wind up with the two problem kids – the nerdy introvert and the loudmouth bad boy of the group.

You can see where this is going, can’t you? When the only other option is jail time, the guys have to make the best of their assignments, not to mention their script. Rudd and Scott pull it off: They play well off of each other as straight man and wild card, and the film had the audience consistently reacting out loud throughout.

Although “”Role Models”” might not be worth looking to as the pinnacle of comedy with a message, it’s definitely worth the laugh.

Star Rating: 4 out of 5