New College of Veterinary Medicine holds open house

Ericka Rios
A bone figure shape of an animal is placed for show in one of the vet rooms.

Last month, the University of Arizona received approval from the American Veterinary Medical Association that they would be able to open the first public College of Veterinary Medicine in the state of Arizona.

The school hosted an open house on its Oro Valley campus on Wednesday, Nov. 13. The open house began with a ribbon-cutting ceremony by UA Provost Liesl Folks and the newly appointed Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine Dr. Julie Funk.

Funk was selected from a similar research-based university. She has experience in both the fields of private practice and teaching. Funk shared her enthusiasm for being selected as Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

“I am honored and excited to serve as the founding dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Arizona,” Funk said in a press release. “Arizona has been in need of a public veterinary program for some time now and this program will have a positive impact on both animal and public health throughout the state.”

RELATED: UA Foundation beats their fundraising record

Following the ribbon cutting, guests were invited to join a tour of the building. The building features different wings for practicing clinical skills, anatomy and microscopy. 

The VetMed school does not contain any lecture hall style classrooms. Each classroom holds operating lab tables where students will have the opportunity to practice on simulated animals and partake in hands-on research.

The building also includes collaborative learning rooms, a wellness center and a student lounge.

The open house also included information regarding the school’s curriculum. VetMed students will be enrolled for three years rather than four. Enrolled students will be able to take courses such as Musculoskeletal, Neuro-Sensory-Behavior and Food Animal Practice.

The College of Veterinary Medicine is expected to hold its first classes in fall 2021. Prospective students can apply for the fall 2021 semester starting in spring 2020. 

Follow Lauren Rowe on Twitter