Athlete of the Week: Willie Tuitama

Willie Tuitama -
    Willie Tuitama –

Arizona quarterback Willie Tuitama threw for a career-high five touchdown passes, connecting with five different receivers for scores, in Saturday’s 45-24 win over NAU. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with Tuitama to discuss his comfort level with Arizona’s new offense, his favorite play and what’s on his iPod.

Wildcat: How would you rate your performance last Saturday on a scale of one to 10?

Tuitama: I’m gonna go with a seven, because that’s my lucky number. I gotta go with that.

W: What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you get a play call for a long pass?

T: I just look and see who my guys are first, see how much speed we have on the field and just make sure the defense is in the right formation so that we can run the right play.

W: What’s your favorite play to run?

T: Any forward vertical pass going downfield. It gives me a chance to have some options. Actually, that first touchdown that we had to Mike T. (Thomas) on Saturday, that’s definitely my favorite.

W: Have you done any of the playcalling the first two weeks?

T: I did a little bit. I didn’t have to do too much. The plays that coach (Sonny Dykes) called actually worked out great. For the most part I didn’t have to.

W: With this offense, can fans expect to see five touchdowns a game pretty frequently?

T: I definitely hope so. If I can throw five touchdowns every game that’s going to be a whole lot of points for us and a whole lot of Ws.

W: Do you miss the whole “”Tui-tama”” chant from the Zona Zoo section?

T: Actually, it kind of made me nervous as hell in my freshman year when they started to chant my name.

W: What’s the story behind those pookah shells you wear around your neck?

T: I’ve been wearing them for a really long time, since high school. It’s just something I like wearing, even in games. I don’t know if you can see them.

W: Are they a good-luck charm?

T: In a way, yeah. But it’s also part of my culture a little bit, too, so I figure I might as well.

W: If I were to say, “”Who’s now, Mike or Mark Stoops?”” what would you say?

T: I’m just gonna have to go with Mike. That’s the head coach. I can’t go wrong with that.

W: What’s on your iPod right now?

T: I think if I press play right now it’s on slow jams. I listen to a lot of slow jams.

W: What would you do for a Klondike Bar right now?

T: Actually, you know what? I’m kinda good right now. I’m not that hungry (laughs).

as told to Mike Ritter