Soccer team ends scoreless drought, continues losing streak

The Arizona soccer team dropped both of its games this weekend of the Sun Devil Desert Classic in Tempe. On the bright side, the Wildcats finally managed to score their first two goals of the season. Both goals came against the Oklahoma Sooners in a 4-2 loss on Sunday, following a scoreless 1-0 outing on Friday versus Missouri.

The Wildcats may have scored their first two goals, and that is definitely a step in the right direction, but following the weekend, the team now finds itself in the midst of a season-opening, six game losing streak that may be tough to bounce back from.

“We are focused on getting our first win. We have all the individual pieces,” said head coach Lisa Oyen. “Throughout the course of the season we have had great games. We have done enough to put ourselves in situations to finish off games, it’s just a matter of staying committed and playing an entire 90 minutes.”

The truth lies in the numbers. Obviously, a six-game losing streak is a six-game losing streak, there’s no avoiding that fact. But a look at the numbers shows that the team has had flashes of potential.

The Wildcats may have only scored two goals this season on 63 shots, but of those 63 shots, a total of 30, or 48 percent, were shots on goal. Their opponents on the other hand, have shot a total of 98 shots, 42 of which were on goal, for a percentage of 43.

That statistic tells a few things. For one, the Arizona defense has been allowing an alarming number of shots, a little more than 16 per game. On the positive side, however, the team has had nearly half of its shots be on goal, meaning it was only a matter of time before it finally scored some points.

Oyen echoed that sentiment, and said she hopes the team can build on its progress and secure its first victory against Pacific on Friday at home. Freshmen LeeAndra Smith and Brie DeFelice scoring their first collegiate goals on Sunday is a start in the right direction.

“We’ve had opportunities. We’ve had enough shots. It’s just really good to see that we can put the ball at the back of the net and we found a way to do so,” Oyen said.

“We really are trying to take it one game at a time,” she added. “Our expectation is that we focus on this next game and get a good result and then we’ll look ahead to the game after that. Just take it one game at a time and one play at a time. Now we’ll focus on the game against Pacific.”