Black Student Union plans protest after alleged assault

Member+of+the+Black+Student+Union+held+a+silent+protest+in+honor+of+the+anniversary+of+Trayvon+Martins+birthday.+In+his+memory+the+BSU+stand+up+against+police+brutality+and+injustice+to+their+community.+
Claudio Cerrillo
Member of the Black Student Union held a silent protest in honor of the anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s birthday. In his memory the BSU stand up against police brutality and injustice to their community.

University of Arizona’s Black Student Union sent out a statement demanding to know the names of two white students who physically and verbally attacked a black student on Tuesday at 11:24 p.m. 

The statement from BSU said the white students initially ran away after the attack and were referred to a social justice training program. The University of Arizona Police Department considered the attack a “minor” injury.

The statement also demands academic probation and suspension of the two suspected students, the release of the incident report and a coalition requiring UAPD officers to complete a cultural sensitivity program.

UA President Robert C. Robbins condemned the attack in a letter sent out to UA students and staff Thursday night. 

“I want our community to know that racism, bias and violence will not be tolerated at this University,” Robbins said in the email.

Robbins said the victim will receive support, and the dean of students has been in contact with them. 

Robbins also said UAPD is conducting an investigation. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter