Police Beat

A student was cited for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia at Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., at 8:24 p.m. March 19.

A resident assistant reported the smell of marijuana coming from a room in the residence hall.

Police arrived and noticed a strong odor of marijuana outside of the student’s dorm room.

When the officer entered the room, he saw a glass jar container on the student’s desk.

Police searched the desk drawers and found a green plastic jar with marijuana inside, along with some rolling papers.

“”None of this marijuana is mine, someone must have put it there. I haven’t smoked for six months,”” the student told police.

The officer asked the student to stick out his tongue, and saw it was covered by “”a film.”” The student’s pupils were also dilated.

The student was cited for possession of marijuana and released.

An officer responded to a report of a fight and attempted theft at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1801 E. First St., at 2:30 a.m. March 20.

Witnesses said three suspects tried to steal a TV from the fraternity house.

Fraternity members confronted the suspects, who then put the TV down and ran away.

Later, one suspect returned to the house and tried to walk off with the TV again.

The suspect, a member of the Theta Tau fraternity and a student at the UA, said he was sitting across the street and saw somebody enter Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house. The suspect said he went after the other man because he thought he was going to try to steal the TV.

The suspect had watery eyes, a flushed face, smelled strongly of alcohol, had slurred speech and was repetitive with his answers. The suspect repeatedly told the officer that he had been drinking that night.

The suspect was charged with first degree criminal trespassing and one count of a minor with spirituous liquors in the body. He was arrested and booked into Pima County Jail.

A female student was almost run over by a car speeding through parking lot 2182 along North Cherry Avenue and East Mabel Street at 7:30 a.m. March 20.

The woman was walking to class when a dark green two-door Honda Civic entered the lot at high speed through the exit and nearly hit her.

The student said she had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit and pointed at the one-way sign as the car sped past.

A slender white male with brown hair backed the car up and asked the student, “”Did you have something to say to me?””

The student told the driver to slow down and not to enter the lot through the exit. The student said the driver then opened his car door, spit on the ground and sped off.

The student said “”classy,”” and reported the incident to police.

The woman said the same dark green car had almost struck her when she was in her car before spring break, but she did not report it because she thought it was an isolated incident.

A suspicious male was reportedly going through offices at the Old Chemistry Building, 1306 E. University Blvd., at 12:51 p.m. March 20.

Witnesses said the man was going through file cabinets on the second floor near Room 221 and quickly left the building through the south exit.

Police found a male matching the description given by witness near the Student Union Memorial Center. Police asked to search the man and his bag and he gave consent.

Police found a plastic bag with methamphetamine, a container with heroine, two pills of hydromorphone and some syringes in the man’s bag.

The man, who is a chemistry student, was arrested and charged with theft, possession of a dangerous drug, possession of drug paraphernalia and two counts of possession of narcotic drugs. He was booked into Pima County Jail.

A female student reported her car was stolen from parking lot 4164 near East First Street and North Cherry Avenue between 10:15 a.m. and 5:53 p.m. March 21.

The 2005 silver soft-top Jeep Wrangler was parked in the center aisle on the south side of the lot, according to the student.

The student returned from class and noticed her vehicle was missing so she called police. The Jeep was unlocked and the top was not attached during the time of the theft.

The Maine license plate read “”TRNWRK.””

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu