Quick Hits

Composer of ‘Bear Down’ to be honored at concert

The UA Department of Bands will present a tribute to bandleader Jack Lee on Sunday.

Lee, who led the UA bands for more than 30 years, composed the UA fight song “”Bear Down Arizona.””

In honor of this icon of a bygone era, the UA Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony will present a Sousa-style concert in Centennial Hall featuring Lee’s music.

During his 33 years as band director at the UA, Lee taught thousands of college students and was responsible for taking the UA band to perform in the first Super Bowl on Jan. 15, 1967.

The memorial concert will be held on Sunday at 3 p.m. in Centennial Hall.

Muslim leadership conference this weekend

The Muslim Student Association is hosting the Constellation Leadership Workshop for all interested Muslim students.

The workshop is scheduled for tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in McClelland Hall, Room 134.

Training sessions of leadership skills will be conducted by Ahmed Sidky, the vice president of MSA National. Breakfast and lunch will be served.

UA 4 Food kick off celebration

“”Almost Free Fridays,”” an event sponsored by Main Gate Square merchants and UA 4 Food, is having the food drive’s kickoff celebration today at 4:30 p.m.

The celebration will feature a world party and live music by G-Force Project, Batuxace and Africatamatam.

There will also be a Community Food Bank “”KGUN 9-Stuff the Trolly,”” face painting, a raffle and prizes.

For more information call Jane McCollum, 622-8613.