Swim finishes 4th in Pac-10s

The No. 7 Arizona men’s swimming team finished fourth at the Pacific 10 Conference Championships this weekend.

The Wildcats (6-2) finished the meet with 591 points, behind No. 3 Stanford (6-0, 880 points), No. 2 California (6-1, 796) and No. 9 Southern California (6-3, 530) but still managed to set school records while capturing individual titles Wednesday through Saturday in Federal Way, Wash.

The Wildcats came away from the meet with two individual titles, one relay title, two conference meet records and two school records. Arizona also had 11 automatic qualifying times for the NCAA Championships and 20 consideration times.

The relay title, Arizona’s first in school history, came in the 800-meter freestyle relay. The team composed of seniors Simon Burnett, Lyndon Ferns, Tyler DeBerry and junior Adam Ritter set a new meet and school record in 6:18.70.

The 200y medley relay gave the Wildcats another school record. Sophomore Albert Subirats, senior Dave Rollins, Burnett and Ferns clocked in at 1:25.76, also an automatic qualifying time.

Ferns earned the first individual conference win for the Wildcats in the 100y butterfly with a time of 46.43.

Burnett took the 200y freestyle title, setting a new meet record of 1:33.26.

The individual victories of Burnett and Ferns are the first for the Wildcats at this meet since 2002.

The men’s and women’s swim teams compete in their last meet of the year March 23-25 at the NCAA Championships in Atlanta.

Information taken from a press release on www.gohuskies.com.