Women’s basketball’s upset bid of No. 9 Oregon State falls short in 2OT

+Tee+Tee+Starks+%2810%29+dribbles+the+ball+down+the+court+during+the+Arizona-UCLA+game+on+Sunday+January+28%2C+2019+in+the+McKale+Center.++
Claudio Cerrillo
Tee Tee Starks (10) dribbles the ball down the court during the Arizona-UCLA game on Sunday January 28, 2019 in the McKale Center.

In the regular season finale, Arizona women’s basketball was on the losing end of a multiple overtime contest. This time, the ‘Cats upset bid of No. 9 Oregon State fell just short, as they lost 65-60 in double overtime.

The first overtime was a low scoring period of play that saw sloppy basketball from both sides. Each team could only amass four points apiece, and the game headed into double overtime.

In the second overtime, the Beavers demonstrated why they are No. 9 in the country, going on a 7-0 run in the last 3:45 of the game, closing out the game for OSU and handing the Wildcats another late game loss.

“If you would have told me we were going to allow Oregon State to shoot 70 percent in the first few minutes, they’re going to end the game at 42 percent from the floor, and you’re going to get out-rebounded by 22, I would have said we are going to lose by 30,” head coach Adia Barnes said. “So because of our defense, because of passion plays and turning them over 18 times and us only having four turnovers, that’s why we’re in the game.”

After the first quarter, the Wildcats found themselves down 21-12, partly due to their 33 percent shooting from the field but also due to some stifling defense from the Beavers, which forced the ‘Cats into some bad shots. 

In the second quarter, there was almost a complete role reversal defensively. In the last 6:26 of the quarter, the Beavers didn’t score a point, and after a 69 percent shooting percentage in the first quarter, OSU shot 21 percent from the field. The ‘Cats got a 13-8 advantage but headed into halftime down 29-25.

Once again, some late-quarter defense kept the Wildcats in the game and helped them make up some ground. This time, the ‘Cats held the Beavers scoreless for the final 7:17 of the quarter and headed into the fourth quarter trailed by only a point, 36-35.

In the fourth quarter, the Wildcats would make up the point that they needed to tie it up, forcing overtime.

Redshirt junior Dominique McBryde finished with 20 points, adding eight rebounds, accounting for four of Arizona’s six 3-pointers.

After the game, Arizona had a ceremony for its nine seniors on the team, from equipment managers to other staff members, including the two seniors who played their final game in McKale Center: Destiny Graham and Lindsey Malecha.

Tee Tee Starks was involved in the ceremony as a senior, but announced she would be coming back for another year after sitting out last season because of NCAA transfer rules. The announcement came as surprise to the whole arena, including coach Barnes.

“I kept a good secret,” Starks said with a laugh.

With the loss, the ‘Cats finish the 2018-19 regular season with a record of 17-12. Although they now finish the season on a four-game losing streak, the above .500 record is a welcome improvement from the 6-23 regular season record of last year.

With their regular season finished, the Wildcats now look ahead to the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas from March 7-10.

Follow Noah Auclair on Twitter