News in brief: December 4

Sustainable Built Environments seniors, who are graduating in December, will present their capstone projects on Friday in the Sundt Gallery from 5-6 p.m. Capstone projects that will be presented range from urban agriculture to zero energy to pedestrian zones throughout the UA campus.

Director of the UA Laboratory of Tree Ring Research Thomas Swetnam was recognized as an American Association for the Advancement of Science fellow. This is an elite recognition for members of the AAAS across the nation whose research has progressed science. In total, the AAAS recognized 401 of its members from this year. Swetnam, who is also a regents’ professor in dendrochronology, has focused his research on climate change throughout history.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration bestowed a $3.6 million grant on the UA to create training facilities for public health.

ITCats Toastmasters will continue hosting open discussions from 8:45-10 a.m. every Friday from now until Jan. 2, 2015. At ITCats Toastmasters, UA information technology workers have the opportunity to attend discussions to learn more about communication skills in the professional field.

The UA Toastmasters, similar to ITCats Toastmasters except not limited to IT professionals, will continue its open discussions every Friday up until Dec. 26 from noon to 1 p.m. The focus of UA Toastmasters, as with ITCats Toastmasters, is honing communication skills in the professional world.

The farmer’s market at the Arizona Health Sciences Center plaza will continue for the next two Fridays, ending the semester on Dec. 12. The farmers market is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is open to the public, where people can purchase locally grown and organic foods.