President Sander answers questions on presidential search, goals for UA

Keith Hickman-Perfetti
UA Interim-President Eugene Sander answers questions at a Q&A for the univeristy community at the Gallagher Theater on Wednesday 12 Oct. 2011. Most questions were about the future of the university and the search for the new president. Keith Hickman-Perfetti/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

UA President Eugene Sander addressed several topics concerning the university’s future during a question-and-answer session on Wednesday afternoon.

Sander held a campus forum in the Student Union Memorial Center’s Gallagher Theater. Sander was asked early on if any faculty representatives were being included in the presidential search committee. Several attendees had expressed concerns about the lack of faculty representation within the committee, and that it could be a “problem” if more faculty members weren’t asked to join.

Sander, as well as other attendees, commented that the committee has been taking steps to include as much of the faculty as possible in the search for the next university president.

Another issue raised was Sander’s goals for the next year as the university’s president. After making a point to clearly state that as interim president he would not be sticking around for “the next five years,” Sander said he did have several expectations about the university.

Pointing out the UA’s “nationally-ranked” status, Sander explained that the level of respect for the university itself, as well as its students, faculty, and staff are all vital to keeping the university’s prestige, and also mentioned the importance of keeping a “unified front and pride in our institution.”

Another question that arose during the forum was in regards to the workload of the doctoral program, and whether anything would be done to decrease the workload for students working toward a doctorate. Sander responded by saying that the process of getting a doctorate is difficult “but worth it,” and that there were no plans to ease the process of pursuing a doctorate degree.

Attendees also asked Sander about plans to accommodate the growth of students attending graduate school. Sander said using resources in technology, including online classes, is one way to assist with the growing number of students pursuing graduate degrees. Sander added that while he had done things the “more classical way,” today’s college generation is very familiar with technology, making it an obvious solution.

Sander will host two more campus forums, one from noon to 1 p.m. also in Gallagher Theater on Nov. 16, and the final one on Dec. 8 from noon to 1 p.m. in DuVal Auditorium in the University of Arizona Medical Center—University Campus. For those unable to make it to the actual meetings, Arizona Public Media will broadcast the events live on its website at www.azpm.org/news.