Freezing rain blamed for Chicago-area crashes

An evening of freezing rain is believed responsible for numerous weather-related crashes and spin-outs on Chicago-area roadways.

In one of the crashes, numerous people were taken to area hospitals after a multi-vehicle crash on the inbound lanes of South Lake Shore Drive near 58th Street. The crash might have been caused by black ice, police said.

As many as six or seven vehicles might have been involved, police said.

Police temporarily closed the inbound lanes on the drive between the Oakwood Boulevard exit and the southern end, police spokesman Officer Daryl Baety said.

Between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., fire department crews have responded to dozens of accidents on the drive and city streets due to “”rapidly deteriorating street conditions”” related to the weather, department spokesman Larry Langford said.

None of the crashes appeared to have resulted in serious injury, he said.

Illinois State police were also on the scene of a serious personal injury accident on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway at Rt. 53 near Woodfield Mall, according to Trooper Clare Pfotenhauer.

The National Weather Service reported both freezing drizzle and sub-freezing temperatures this evening, which will be followed by snow fall after midnight.

The city’s Department of Streets and Sanitation Snow Command called up 174 snow-fighting trucks to combat icy roadways, according to a news release. City officials advised motorists to drive with added caution.

Elgin District State Police has activated a “”Snow Plan”” due to the weather. Freezing rain is responsible for crashes and spin-outs on roadways primarily Interstate 290Interstate 355and the Elgin O’Hare Expressway, according to a release.

In the “”Snow Plan,”” motorists whose vehicles are driveable after an accident have 7 days to go to Elgin District Headquarters and file a crash report, said Trooper Maria Navarro.

State Police urged motorists to use extreme caution while traveling especially when approaching bridges, curves, ramps, according to a news release. Motorists should also avoid sudden lane changes and abrupt braking as patches of ice continue to make driving very difficult, the release stated.

The state police is working with the Illinois Department of Transportation to address the conditions.