Arizona WBB beats Texas Southern by 55

Caitlin Claypool

Cate Reese (25) dribbles the ball during a game in McKale Center on Monday, Nov. 15. The Wildcats ended the game in a sweeping victory against Texas Southern University. 

The Arizona women’s basketball team dominated Texas Southern University 93-38. Arizona did not trail for the whole game.

“We are better now than we were last year, offensively and defensively,” head coach Adia Barnes said.

Arizona was led by Cate Reese and Lauren Ware. Reese scored 15 points shooting on 63% (5-8) from the field and recording 11 rebounds in only 13 minutes. Ware scored 12 points and shot 50% (4-8) from the field. 

“I’m being aggressive, my teammates are finding me, I think that’s what it is right now,” Reese said. 

“Offensively [Reese is] playing at a high level, she’s playing like an All-American. She’s shooting threes, she’s defending well. You guys can remember Cate couldn’t defend her first couple years, she struggled. Now she’s defending, she is even defending guards sometimes. She’s improved tremendously, she’s worked her butt off,” Barnes said. 

Arizona played great defense only allowing Texas Southern to shoot 23% from the field and 0% from the three. The Wildcats also forced 23 turnovers which led to 27 points off turnovers. 

Arizona also dominated on the glass outrebounding Texas Southern 47-36.

RELATED: Aari McDonald’s basketball legacy: how to make up for the loss? 

The Wildcats went to their bench early and made an impact, Arizona’s bench outscored Texas Southern’s starters by 24 points on the night. Madison Conner and Aaronette Vonleh both came off the bench scoring 10 points each. 

After the game, Arizona celebrated their trip to the National Championship game last season with the unveiling of the Final Four banner. 

“I think we should be back there this year … we have unfinished business like Adia said we lost with six seconds left. So, I think that’s something that should be in the back of our heads and have a chip on our shoulders.” Reese said. 

Arizona is back at home Friday, Nov. 19 against Marist at 6:30 p.m. in the McKale Center.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter